Circus animals

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Mo
Legendary Laner

Circus animals

Post by Mo »

There is a vote in Parliament against using wild animals in circuses.
38degrees are suggesting we all email our MP.

They say
"Forcing wild animals to perform in circuses causes needless suffering. Beautiful wild beasts – like tigers, lions and zebras – are shunted around the country in trailers, kept alone in small cages, and forced to perform.

The best circuses have long abandoned this cruel practice and wow their audiences with talented acrobats and clowns. This Thursday's vote is an opportunity to finally tackle those few dodgy circuses that still exploit wild animals. If we work together we can persuade our MPs to do the right thing"
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Circus animals

Post by Mo »

I used to enjoy the occassional circus as a child - except the clowns.

What do you think?
When I start considering it I wonder about the horses and dogs, is it OK for them but not for the lions.
Some animals have a long history of domestication, e.g. elephants work in forestry, horses are used for riding and pulling. But I doubt if any of them would do it from choice. So where do you draw the line?

I did send the email, but I'm sure some circus families will claim that their animal's welfare is paramount.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I think you raise a valid point in asking is it ok for some animals but not others . Animals that have over the years been used for work and have adapted as you say elephants are probably fine with learning reasonable 'tricks' especially if the 'trick' can be related to a natural behaviour. Tigers , lions bears absolutely not. The issue for me as much as any is the transportation and travelling involved, apart from dogs who probably share much of the human accommodation I don't believe any animal can be comfortable being constantly on the move.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Alex. & Annie wrote:I think you raise a valid point in asking is it ok for some animals but not others . Animals that have over the years been used for work and have adapted as you say elephants are probably fine with learning reasonable 'tricks' especially if the 'trick' can be related to a natural behaviour. Tigers , lions bears absolutely not. The issue for me as much as any is the transportation and travelling involved, apart from dogs who probably share much of the human accommodation I don't believe any animal can be comfortable being constantly on the move.

Here Here )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

It is really hard to put a blanket opinion on all animals and all circus's as all animals and all circus's are different with different needs. I agree that there are certain animals who should never be kept in this way as there will never be the space and freedom that they need. It's not necessarily that the circus does not care for them or mistreats them, just that some animals need more space and freedom.
But as you say Mo, it may be different with animals like the dogs and horses :?

I think the best thing to do would be to put a ban on circus's using animals that would be more suited to a safari park (or better still, the wild) and then being spot checked regularly without notice to make sure that the more 'domesticated' animals are being cared for appropriately. I'm sure that the majority of circus's care deeply for their animals, it's just that we get to hear about the awful cases where they don't.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When I used to go to the zoo as a child we'd see animals in little cages. Times have moved on, we are used to seeing natural behaviour on documentaries, and most people know that animals need space.......except when the price of supermarket is involved.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Mo wrote:When I used to go to the zoo as a child we'd see animals in little cages. Times have moved on, we are used to seeing natural behaviour on documentaries, and most people know that animals need space.......except when the price of supermarket is involved.

I think Animals in Circus's should now be a thing of the past!

{mr.angry}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.