Community living

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Community living

Post by Sunny B »

I'm just having a look at this with a view to the far future. I've seen some rather basic places, scratching a living and living under canvas and corrugated tin, which I'm afraid really doesn't appeal.
But I just found this - looks fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeaTLi3EsI&feature=related
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
p.penn

Re: Community living

Post by p.penn »

Ideologically it seems perfect, although the reality may not be all it's cracked up to be.

It doesn't really look lived in, does it? I couldn't keep that up for long. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't know about community, fancy having to hold a commitee meeting before deciding where to plant the spuds, or whether to cut down the overgrown bush. In our house agreement between 2 needs too many words. It's usually 'why is there a hole in the path?' or 'what will it be like when you've finished?'. But if you had a group of people acting on their whims or striving for consensus.....fireworks maybe.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
tiameg
Lively Laner

Post by tiameg »

Interesting but a commune is not for everyone.
When I get up in the morning I like to know I'm free to decorate a room (any colour I choose without the say so of a committee), build a coop, change my garden around etc. - whatever I want really. I could not imagine having to get the consensus of 8 other people before I could do such things. That would drive me nuts. Also surely sometimes - they would all rather drink bleach than have to have dinner with 8 other people...again? And as for 'the community bathing and rows of showers - don't think so.

Sometimes, all you want is a quiet bath, a candle and your own thoughts & bubbles! {rofwl}
I love egg. In fact sometimes I think I'm going to turn into a big giant egg. - Fr Dougal McGuire
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I defend my right to join my birds and have a dump in me own back garden if I want to.

I don't btw, but I do water the fox.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I thought for many years that community living was a really appealing concept.
Last year I got as far as researching several, and actually visited Canon Frome in Herefordshire for a weekend.
It was an enjoyable experience, the people were delightful (mostly! there were a few oddballs), they made me very welcome, and the set-up very well organised. But even over the space of a weekend, I could feel that the loss of autonomy would not suit me. You have to be prepared to go with the way the majority want (or the way they have always done it!) even if you know how to do things better.
One more fantasy down the drain, for me.
Of course other set-ups may be different/better/more flexible but I think you would always have to compromise more, which is fine for some people but not me.
There was a new community in Devon in the process of starting up - they may be worth a look as if you are in at the beginning you would get a larger say on how things are done.
Have you discovered the Diggers and Dreamers website? They are all there.
Good luck if you go for it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

No not for me. For although I live a really busy life, I do like peace, quiet and my own company.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I think what really drew me to this one was the fact that they all have individual houses, so it's a "community" more than a "commune". I certainly wouldn't want to live in a shared house. Also they don't have committee meetings, just discuss things over dinner, so it would be more like sharing with family/friends.

I've just heard Diggers and Dreamers are working on an updated directory, so will have a look at that.

I'm just looking at possibilities for the future, not any time soon.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Doesnt appeal to me at all. We had enough probs when 7 of us lived together, so thanks, but no thanks.