They were not Green

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: They were not Green

Post by secret squirrel »

Blimey it brings it all back. In a way they 'were' the good old days, when you only had 1 galvanised bin, that was seldom so full you couldnt get the lid on.
Everything was disposed of in a green way.
What didnt go on the fire was burned in the grate, and yes Maggie, we ate everything on the plate because thats all there was. If you didnt like what was on offer then you went without.
Mum and I were only chatting about it yesterday. I remember my nan buying jumpers at a jumble sale and unraveling them. She would then wind the wool into skeins, wash it, re-ball it and knit it into something else.
When I first had a Saturday job in a supermarket, in the late 60s, everyone brought their own shopping bags with them. Some of them were quite smelly from years of use, but carrier bags in those days were made from paper. Sadly we all thought it was wonderful when plastic ones were introduced. We could never have foreseen the consequences of that choice all theses years later. They are probably the bane of every household.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Just read this thread, really good and very well started off Steve.

Us one's getting on a bit - no idea at all have we !!

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

he he knicking off with bottles to get the 5p back.
I doubt that i am the only one who prefers the feel of clothes dried on the line rather than in a tumble drier. Good thread. )t'
Bah Humbug
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

I still use the line instead of the dryer when I can. I love the fresh smell of frech air when the clothes come in or are ironed (when I do any). And take my own bags to the supermarket (use a box if I forget).