Ingrown toenail?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Ingrown toenail?

Post by echelon »

What is the treatment for one of these? I've had one for about 15 years and I don't like going to the doctor. I dug it out of the skin the other day and it hurt like hell and it always ends up infected. I used some of the chickens gentian violet on it and it's been fine so far, but my entire toenail is now purple! :shock:

Has anybody here had one? I dunno if they still remove them then kill the nail bed to prevent it returning. The NHS doesn't seem to treat stuff like this anymore - it's just left up to you to sort out and I'm NOT going to see the chiropodist!
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Post by liskeardjane »

Quite simply get this sorted - had it for 15 years!!!! Yes the GP will refer you to minor surgery and it will get fixed. you will be seen within six seeks and treated within 18 weeks of that! we still have free health care.get it whilst you can! Sorry to sound bossy but suffering from fear or stubborness is just not needed.
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Now I remember seeing a self-help strip of illustrations about ingrowing toenails.

It said to use a piece of floss - the stuff you use between your teeth, but the string type, not the tape. Cut a length, say 12", and slip it gently under the corner of the ingrowing nail. Then with sharp scissors trim the ends either side, so you are left with about ¼" each side.

This apparently 'lifts' the nail sufficiently for it to grow and eases pain. The floss can be renewed when needed.

Please note that I have not tried this, just thought it was something I may need to know in the future.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Ooo, do you just leave the floss sitting there? I'll try to have a look on the 'net about that and give it a go.

I can't be bothered with going to see the doctor about stuff unless I really can't treat it myself. I find doctors patronising and they never actually listen to what you're saying - I find this intolerable and will therefore have nothing to do with them unless it's absolutely unavoidable.
manda

Post by manda »

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's a very interesting article Manda, thanks. I have discovered I am cutting my toenails wrong. I trim the sides and it says you should cut them straight across, but I have never had a problem. Wonder if I should start doing it the right way?

Ilona
Mrs Fuzzywig
Longlasting Laner

Post by Mrs Fuzzywig »

My son had this problem when he was a teenager, he went in to hospital as a day case where they removed a strip of nail on one side, it didn't take long, was sore for a few days, problem sorted.
I understand why you don't want to go to your GP, I'm just the same, I suffer with all sorts of things but I hate hospitals and waiting rooms so go on suffering, which is ridiculous really but you just get used to things don't you?
Carol

The trouble with having a really good sleep is, you're not awake to enjoy it!
Ingrown fingernails
Learner Laner

Re: Ingrown toenail?

Post by Ingrown fingernails »

Soak the fingernail in warm salty water for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Do this three or four times in the day. This will soften the nails and make it easier for you to trim it
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I do agree that you should go to your GP. However for what it's worth, yes make sure that the nail is cut straight across and years ago the home treatment for this was to cut a small V in the centre of the nail. Not sure how well it worked though but worth trying if really terrified of the medical way.
I do sympathise with you.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Caz-N-Chooks
Lively Laner

Post by Caz-N-Chooks »

My 12 year old son has had both his done (one only last week) on the NHS only waited about 6 weeks waiting, in & out in an hour, healed within a couple of weeks.

Get to the doctors it's not worth putting up with the pain, my son says it's like walking on air since having his done.
Caz x

1 Hubby, 2 kids, 1 Cat, 1 Dog, 2 Chickens (Blue Orpingtons) 6 Fish, 1 Albino Aquatic African Clawed Frog and Queenie The Guide Dog Puppy
If anyone wants to follow Queenie the Guide Dogs for the Blind puppys daily diary on Facebook please go to http://www.facebook.com/groups/233032836753711/
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

If a twelve year old can do it........ )t' Dont suffer!! you could get septecemia that will go up your leg!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re:

Post by Sunny B »

Meanqueen wrote:That's a very interesting article Manda, thanks. I have discovered I am cutting my toenails wrong. I trim the sides and it says you should cut them straight across, but I have never had a problem. Wonder if I should start doing it the right way?

Ilona

I should think with all the walking you do you'd have had problems before now if your technique was wrong, so I'd carry on as you are!
I cut my nails straight across, but they have started ingrowing anyway. )gr:
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker