Underactive thyroid - anyone know....?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Underactive thyroid - anyone know....?

Post by Sunny B »

I'm underactive and taking thyroxin. My last blood test results said one part normal and one part suppressed. What does the suppressed mean? The receptionist at the doc's didn't know >coc<
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
p.penn

Re: Underactive thyroid - anyone know....?

Post by p.penn »

That's absolutely crazy }hairout{ Surely she could have found out for you?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Not sure if it's any help, but I found THIS.

I think I read it as it is still underactive. But why only one part?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I did try looking on the internet, but stuff like that makes no sense to me >dum<

Receptionist said she'd ask my doc when she's there next week, I was just curious.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Hi SunnyB.
Thyroid metabolism is horribly complicated, because there are several factors to measure and there are feedback mechanisms where if something is high, it supresses production of something else so that looks like it's low when it actually isn't!
Best get your doc to explain. Nothing drastic is going to happen if you have to wait a few days, so don't fret.
Silly of receptionist to give you results when she was anot able to explain them - worried you unnecessarily. {warn}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I have an underactive thyroid and take thyroxine but I've never been told that before. I think that the TSH level is the main indicator, and that there are two parts to this - T3 and T4. I would imagine she means that either your T3 or T4 is too low and from what I can gather this can result in a different treatment regime being needed.

This site might be worth a look at too...
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Hypothyr ... lem_in_CFS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My dosage seems quite bizarre - I was on 300mcg for years but then last year it needed to be reduced drastically as my levels were too high. The doctor made a mistake and reduced me down to 75mcg rather than 175 - I put on 2 stone, my hair started to fall out and I felt awful. She wouldn't look at my results again, just said I needed to give my body time to adjust - it was only after about 9 months that she finally realised her mistake. I am now back up to 200 but still showing symptoms so hope it will go up again at my next blood test in September )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Lucy, that's terrible. Poor you. {hug}
Helen xx

Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Poor Lucy - why don't doctors listen when we say something is wrong - we know how we should be feeling!

I'm still adjusting I think after having radioactive iodine to stop overactive thyroid. After that treatment I went underactive and am having tests every 6 weeks. I will have to see the doc to get her to explain what each T level means - all the websites just seem to confuse me more!