Feeling a bit Autumn-like

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Feeling a bit Autumn-like

Post by rubyhen »

Oh dear it's getting to that time of the year again {cry}

As a SAD sufferer I can feel the change in mood a bit earlier this year - is it just me?

I will get the light box out and start up the light therapy today (if I can motivate myself!) This year I'm going to try and get outside for at least an hour or so per day as well as using the light box and see if that helps. I'm also going to try and 'enjoy' autumn - I think it usually reminds me of the dreaded return to school after long weeks off, but that was 40 years ago!

Has anyone else got any tips for surviving the change of season? (and the thought of the long dreaded winter ahead.... {cry} )

Ruby the SAD
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
Novastar
Lively Laner

Re: Feeling a bit Autumn-like

Post by Novastar »

My trick is usually to be outside in the daylight as much as I can - so in autumn/winter, that means making sure I go out at lunchtime, regardless of the weather! )t'
.~ You can only fly as high as the dreams you dare to live ~.

Save or even EARN money WHILST SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT!

Over 850 ecological and environmentally friendly household, garden, health, beauty, and loads of other products at wholesale prices! Ask me for details!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes it is autumn like.
I have noticed the sun is at a different level when I am out walking the dogs, recently.
I fortunately do not suffer from SAD. But I did have a time when I came home from a holiday in the sunshine in late November, that I felt rather down which is so unusual for me. So I do sympathise.
I don't think I could go a day, without going outside, so as Novastar says probably best to try to get outside when it is daylight.
Good luck
{hug}
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Sorry you're suffering Ruby {hug} .. I suffer from depression so can sympathise.. I don't find the seasons make a lot of difference to me though :? but getting out for a walk whatever the weather does help ..
I read an article once.. and I think it was discussed on here :? .. about real fires making a difference and the increase in SAD since central heating .. I do find the flames from my log burner lift my spirits and am actually looking forward to lighting it when it's cold enough )t'
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I do sympathise, Rubhen. I've definitely been feeling more tired and wanting to eat more stodge in the last week.

I used to have very bad SAD but found that since I got a dog which needs walking twice a day I've not suffered. So definitely being outside in the light, as well as the endorphins from the exercise, really does help.

>gl<
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I too will be getting the light box out soon,they always say use it before you feel the need!!!When do you use it?I used to manage an hour at about 6 am but i dont get that hour now so i am wondering when is the best time of day to use it,since I have trouble sleeping i dont want to use it too late in the day?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

Thank you for your replies :-D

Jannie - I also love sitting in front of a log fire and this is one of the good things about Autumn/winter. I need to remind myself that there are good things! (also sitting in front of fire with glass of wine and seed catalogue!)

Madmum - I use my lightbox when I can, which may be as late as 5.30pm - I have a rule of not using it after 7pm and that seems to work for me. I have seen those sort of visor type lights that you can walk around with on your head but I just couldn't imagine doing that!

Lots of love

Ruby :-D
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Where have all the months gone? Only seem like yesterday we were looking forward to spring {cry} The darker nights are pulling in now, my girls were all in bed at 8 last night. I do like some things about the winter, cold frosty mornings etc but we have no choice but to get through it just like any other year, they just seem to fly by a lot quicker these days

Take care all {hug}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
marigold.b
Learner Laner

Post by marigold.b »

I started getting SAD a few years ago and bought a lightbox. I didn't like it much, but it helped a bit. Then a friend who had suffered with it really badly for years suggested I try a vitamin D3 supplement and that seems to be more effective. My friend used to have her lightbox on almost constantly, but rarely uses it now. Therapeutic doses are higher that RDA, though it's not scientifically proven as a treatment for SAD - evidence is anecdotal only. I am not qualified to give advice so recommend doing your own research before taking a supplement. Google "SAD and vitamin D" for more info. GPs should be able to test vitamin D levels if requested.

Best wishes to all winter-gloomies - here's hoping for lots of lovely bright sparking winter days :-D
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

I like all seasons to be honest :oops:
The colours of the trees in Autumm are something to cherish )t'
A cold winters day walk with the dog , and Spring with all the changes !
A Summers day in a country pub garden with a pint and ploughmans ! :-D
If I could change one thing thou ,it would be to cut back on the "grey days "