little birdies

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
melons
Legendary Laner

little birdies

Post by melons »

We used to get a pheasant, a Muntjack deer & other unusual stuff, but they are now building on the allotments at the end of our row, (hence wanting to move) & all these have disappeared :cry:
We have always fed the birds, we get woodpeckers & all sorts, a long tailed tit turned up the other day, it looks like a budgie, we had to get the bird book out to find out what it was, titchy tiny little thing. We have a really fiesty pair of blackbirds who attack the cat, they have 4 clutches of babies every year :-D
So we don't do so bad, but who will feed them if we go :shock:
& my fish

Mel
Cheers
mel x
melons
Legendary Laner

oops

Post by melons »

Like a divvy, I've put it in the wrong bit, it is meant to follow on from Richards little friends link :oops:
sorry

mel
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Never mind we have a new thread now.
I am sure they will be fed by some soft person like myself.
We have lots of birds, blackbirds, sparrows, dunnocks starlings, blue tits, coal tits, bull finches, yellow finch, chaffinch, a couple of Jays, woodpecker, wagtail, etc.etc we even have a pair hawks in the field. All this and I live 14 miles from the centre of London. Great isn't it.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Talk about central London - Did you know that peregrine falcons are nesting on the top of the Tate Modern building? If you walk along the Thames pathway at Chiswick you will almost certainly see cormorants perched on mooring posts drying off their wings.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Don't worry about a new thread. Really pleased you did as our bird life is very important to our land and wellbeing etc.

Interesting how some 'escapee's' have taken up root naturally. Maybe we won't have to only go to Zoo's and Pet Shops to see them!

My best 'see' last year was a Sparrowhawk in action chasing a Sparrow (or something else).
He didn't catch it, but that is there way, their evolution.

Majestic to see it though.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I can't remember where (possibly a south west London suburb) there are flocks of tens/hundreds of parakeets that were originally pet escapees but have now naturalised. I have read about birds of prey (like the Tate Modern pergrine falcons) moving into inner city areas where the tall buildings mimic the rock faces where they would normally nest.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi PK,

I think it's in the Sidcup, Eltham area (SE London, extreme NW Kent). I recall from another forum a few years back from someone who lives there saying they're a bloomin nuisance.
They go in his back garden where the chickens are and just poo and eat all day!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

They are beautiful, and very graceful to watch. But when we have had sunny days [I can just remember] sometimes they would swoop down and take a bird from our bird table !!!!
I know they have to eat, but please, not in my garden.
They have to feed their young, such is nature, but not very nice.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Kites

Post by melons »

We also have a pair of Kites up the road too, the are magnificant to watch.

I nearly clobbered a pigeon flapping for it's life with some type of hawk after it in the car the other day :shock:

When our resident Sparrow hawk flies over the garden the sparrows go potty & all hide in the hedge, it nearly had me off the ladder on a fly past while I was up it.
Mrs Miggins my big daft ole hen really doesn't like anything flying over her.

We have a really good selection of birds here :-D
Cheers
mel x
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

One place where I get a good view of birds is at the allotment where Robins come amazingly close when you are digging - a foot or two. 'cockerel robin' is so apt. Pigeons as well but naturally not so keen on them hanging around.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

little birdies

Post by AnnaB »

Along with all the garden birds we have buzzards who circle very frequently as there is a large rabbit population and they do their bit for the farmers.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We get buzzards, they almost sound like cats when there are 2 circling together
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

Theres a bat who lives locally (no not an old bat...) we see it flying around when the back light is on. Wonder where he/she resides... I'd like to know what sort of bat it is actually.

Does anyone have any bird books like I have? I'm rather into my ornithology, I have been for years since I was a child. I just find it all so fascinating.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When I was picking plums I had a robin watching me. It was still in it's baby speckled feathers, so it's not just something that they learn to do - they seem to be naturally friendly.
My cat was sat watching us too, not sure who he was watching! But the robin had the sense to up into the branches when Paat came closer.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

We've got crimson rosellas, green grass parrots, superb parrot, kookaburra, cockatoos, corellas, gallahs, blackbirds, shrikes, magpies, wagtails, blue wren, pardalotes, plovers, crows, the occasional duck, black cockatoos, zebra finch - I love it!

We had a visitor from America who almost cried when she saw the crimson rosellas. She couldn't believe we had such a beautiful bird living in abundance in our garden - something she'd only seen in a zoo. I am very lucky!!!!!

cheers
Jodi