Scaly Leg

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Scaly Leg

Post by OldForum »

Chili
My boyfriends family keeps chickens and ive always felt sorry for them as they get the shed cleared out once a year. There never are more than 4 at a time as the foxes take them. But Muff has been a survivor for these 4 yrs and is more a dog than hen so chases the foxes away! But she is now living with Busty Le Roo, a lovely cockrell who was rescued form appalling conditions he had bad scaly leg (assuming its that...Really large scaly lumps on his legs) Muff has yet to contract it but am really concerned for Busty as he has had it for at least 2 yrs now! How do you get rid of it as he is not inclined to be held!!

Mo
Try googling "scaly leg in hens" you get lots of advice. Dont know which works. Mine dont like being held either but if I need to catch one I go out when they are roosting (they sleep in the nest boxes so I can get it before they know I'm there). If you're as fumble fingered as me you need one person to hold hen, and the other to treat it.