Excited - Got Owls

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Excited - Got Owls

Post by hen crazy »

Just been tucking the girlies into the coop >ch< - at the back of my garden is a piece of land full of trees and i heared an owl )c( i think there may be more than 1 because they seemed to be calling to each other - can't see them mind - just hear them and its a real twit twoo - i'm so excited
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Excited - Got Owls

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have owls round our house too and it is a lovely sound to here isnt it?

I did have to google once though as heard this rather weird sound and it was a long eared owl, although have never seen him/her, just heard the sound.

I dont think they like us living here though as there doesnt seem to be as much talking in the evening and night time as there used to be and they are not using the owl boxes in the barns either since the horses came home which is quite sad.
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Post by hen crazy »

just googled owl calls - its def a tawny owl -
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

It is Tawny Owls, the toowit is from the male. )t'
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Post by hen crazy »

Steve would there be 2 males calling to each other or do you think its just one trying to fool me?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If there follows a toowoo (sp) then a female is responding, just listen. )t'
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Post by hen crazy »

oh i courting couple - just wish i could see them - the sound is amazing - think they may have moved off now not heared anything for a while - will check it out tommorrow was just about dusk here when it started and went on for a good 10-15 mins
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

We sometimes hear owls in the woods at the end of our cul-de-sac and while it's lovely to hear them and it's not a loud noise it can keep us awake until about 2 in the morning . However I'd rather listen to owls than traffic or drunks
ock

Post by ock »

we have them around our place all the time, sometimes we have the babies jumping about in our trees, they are really ugly and make hissing noises, once we were woken up by two babies sat on the phone pole just outside our front door )t'
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oddly enough we too have had a baby owl on the phone pole outside our house. My goodness, they make a racket!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ock

Post by ock »

p.penn wrote:Oddly enough we too have had a baby owl on the phone pole outside our house. My goodness, they make a racket!

they really hiss at you don`t they }hairout{
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Because we live in a dip , with the Campsie hills all around us , it is actually very echoy in the village and when the owls are at their best - usually summertime the mating calls rebound its lovely.
)ot: I treated Alex to 1/2 day at the local bird of prey centre a couple of years ago and as no one else was booked in I was invited to walk round with Alex (though I didnt fly any of the birds) and my absolutely favourite was a little Skops owl - I couldnt believe it was real , so dinky and pretty - it looked like it should have been sitting with a pile of teddys and other soft toys {hug}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Terry took Bella our Staffie for a walk round the fields early this morning and not one, but two Tawny owls flew by him. He said they were beautiful too. Sadly I missed all this as I was at home still in my dressing gown. {cry}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I have thrashed myself with a birch, I got the Tawny toowit thing mixed up.
It's the female who calls the male a twit.................

}hairout{ :oops:
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Post by hen crazy »

Sounds about right for a male {rofwl}