How to clean a dresser!..

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
silverback
Legendary Laner

How to clean a dresser!..

Post by silverback »

Hi All,
Jans dad made us a dresser for a wedding present over 35yrs ago, since then it has mellowed in colour as he said it would over time. The problem we have with it is, it has a film of grease on it that we need to clean off, you can feel that the surface is slightly tacky!.
However, the dresser is french polished, a mix that John made using pigment colours, button polish, bees wax and what ever else he used!.

What could I use to clean off the grease, without damaging or affecting the polish,
any suggestions please?.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saintsilve ... 994701659/
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
perchy

Re: How to clean a dresser!..

Post by perchy »

I don't know, but it is lovely )t'

not much help, sorry, but brownie points for pics +f+
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Im with perchy, lovely dresser )t'
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I was going to say white spirit, but I don't know if that would be a good idea if it is french polished. Sorry.

Just found THIS
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I would use sugar soap to clean off the grease but I have no idea how this would affect the original finish. My way of tackling it would be to strip everyting off and apply Danish oil

It is a lovely piece of furniture and a shame to ruin so professional help would be good.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thanks for the replies guy's, my first thought was to use sugar soap to clean it, but not sure if it would react to the polish, and I think white spirit would lift it!.
Hope a french polisher is out there somewhere, I learnt carpentry from John, but never got round to learn how to french polish!.
He used to have a box of different colour pigments, blocks of bees wax, containers of button polish, and a pot for cooking his mixture in on a gas ring!, he could match any colour on furniture...fasinating!..
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Something's ringing a bell with vinegar & water.

I'll check & report back - my dad does a lot of furniture restoration I'll ask him.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Kim and Aggie swear by lemon juice and water to cut through the greasy layer.I have used it on antiques with great results )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

You want to remove the grime but leave the patina. The old cleaning mix is a solution made up of one part each of linseed oil,vinegar and turpentine and a quarter part methylated spirit. Mix well by shaking and apply gently with a soft lint free cloth.
Allow it to dry right off and then buff with a soft dry cloth which should bring back the shine.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The link helen found warns against using too much white spirit then says white spirit / linseed oil mix in the ratio 10 : 1. I wonder if they have that the wrong way round. It doesn't sound far off neat white spirit to me.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Came across an article on Yahoo similar to MM's post, use 2 parts olive oil and 1 part lemon juice. Lemon cuts through the grease while the oil feeds the wood, will have to try a small inconspicuous area on the dresser first and keep fingers crossed.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

My dad suggested something similar to Totally Scrambled's advice - however if it's french polished furniture leave out the meths or you'll remove the polish.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

My dad suggested something similar to Totally Scrambled's advice - however if it's french polished furniture leave out the meths or you'll remove the polish.

Many thanks... )t'
Boobag
Learner Laner

Post by Boobag »

Hi, could use one of two things really, if build up of surface grease from hands etc over years try plain good old fairy liquid on a rough flannel. Or another trick I'd WD40 which will gently remove anything including stubborn marks off Lino or laminate wooden floors. Hope that helps, try a little patch first that is not obvious. Kate )t'
[center][/center][center]Tom, Boo and 3 cats too![/center]