Hip help please (Update)

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Hip help please

Post by Annie »

Hi Helen , I tend to agree with the others that its unlikely to be your hip dislocating but maybe its more likely to be muscle/ligament your are putting stress on. The correct thing to do would be to see a Dr and get an x ray of the area but its not as simple as that is it ? As you say probably given painkillers and a rub of some sort. I do think it sounds as if stretching exercises may help with strengthening the area so maybe a physio and/or yoga type but don't do it on your own get assessed first )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Physio referral through your Dr definitely.
I have a similar thing with a knee, researched online for exercises but the consensus seems to be that you need to see a physio to target the exercises for your particular configuration of the problem.
Don't let your doc fob you off with anti-inflamms, and you will probably have to wait a couple of months (unless you can afford to go privately, about £45) so best get on the waiting list ASAP.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

OK, thanks. I will put it on the 'to do' list. )sh
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

If you can afford a private physio, approx £40. Then initially it will be quicker, with possibly pain relief and a diagnosis of the problem.
Otherwise go to your GP, he/she will take a lot longer and initially give you painkillers. You will possibly have to keep going back with the problem untill they find the root cause(could take 12 months or more).
Most pain in the legs comes from the back.
Hope this helps.
P.S Have it looked at sooner rather than later.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I had something similar happen a few years ago. I was actually sitting in an armchair in someone elses home, went to get up to go to the loo but couldn't straighten up. The pain was excrutiating and I just had to have help to sit down again. This did the trick as I could then get back up.
My GP said that the hip had not locked back into position properly on standing.
I had it happen a couple more times but it eventually righted itself. I was already suffering from arthritis at the time.
I never felt bruised afterwards and wonder if you actually pulled a muscle if you are still feeling bruised. Hope you are soon fully recovered.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Poor you Helen {hug}

I sometimes get very sore hips after doing yoga - especially if the exercises have focussed on that area.

Sounds like it could be a muscular thing to me and as the others have said seeing GP would be a good start with the intention of getting a physio referral.

Hope it's feeling better soon {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

madmum wrote:My daughter had a similar problem with her elbow.It would dislocate and then go in again {cry} Very painful but she seems to have grown out of it.

That's OK Helen, you will grow out of it )t'

How about yoga? Builds strength and flexibility.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I may well think about yoga, although I am much more of a jumping around exercise person!

It is not great today as I went absolutely flying yesterday when walking the dog - proper banana skin stuff! }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hi Helen, I think you will find yoga will help with strengthening and its quite taxing too. Jumping about exercise ,especially to music is good high energy stuff to help weight loss and fitness but just at the moment doesn't sound quite right for you {warn} . Walking spaniels on slippery paths, hmm I remember that , have you learnt the art of making it look like it was all intentional yet as you go head over heels once again , does Bailey come over and give you kisses to 'help' you up - or does she pretend your not 'her' human ?
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

She stopped and watched, but when I got up, she carried on snuffling again! I am so glad I don't take my phone on walks - it would have been well and truly smashed!
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

We are different there then Helen, I have always got my phone when out with Em in case I go flying and can't get back up again , I can't see Em doing a Lassie and going to fetch help {rofwl} . Never put it in my jeans pocket though )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Just an update - I have today been to the doctors! It takes ages to get an appontment :oops:

It has continued to dislocate since I first posted, and when I was in Greece, it happened twice, and the second time it didn't seem to want to go back and it was agony. In fact, I think the hotel staff must have thought I had sudden onset tourettes. }hairout{

Anyway, I decided enough was enough, and it's good news. Nothing wrong with the hip joint, but soft tissue problems. He thinks the ligaments have stretched and they're not keeping the hip stable. So I have been referred to the hospital for physio. Very relieved! )c(

I did ask if there was anything I could do meanwhile, and he said walking (which I do) swimming, but not breast stroke (can only do breast stroke or I sink) or cycling (can't do it)! So walking it is then!

Oh yes, and he also said I was very bendy. {rofwl}
Helen xx

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Good to hear it's nothing too serious!
I bet it's still bloody painful though.

Hopefully you'll feel much better after a few weeks of the correct exercise to help strengthen the joint and keep it in place.

{hug} {hug}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Phew, that's a relief )c(
Of course, if you had gone last year this would have been sorted by now, naughty girl {warn}

Would a tens machine help? I'm sure someone told me once that they help to increase blood flow to the area thus promote healing of ligaments etc?

Why does you being bendy not surprise me {rofwl}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Re: Hip help please (Update)

Post by wendy »

Good to here you have done something about it .....at long last.
Strangely enough our very good friend had exactly the same last weekend. The second time it has happened. She still hasn't gone anywhere [not enough time }hairout{ it's your health forgoodness sake]. But she is limping very badly and looks terrible.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning