24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitor!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitor!

Post by Benny&Co »

Well, I've just been fitted up with a 24 hour BP monitor.

They also did a 12 lead ECG which I did feel a little bit concerned about {cry} but the doctor looked at it and it's all fine, phew!

Let's hope it's just 'white coat syndrome' hey.

Have to say it's rather enlightening 'being the patient', don't know if it's because I'm a nurse I notice things more....

Just little things like the healthcare assistant (as it said on her badge) who ran the test/did my observations didn't even introduce herself to me. She didn't have a particularly warm or nice manner about her either - especially when you consider where all the leads needed to go! :oops: {cry}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: 24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitor!

Post by madmum »

Ok Bev i have to ask,unless its too personal,what are they hoping to find,or not find?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I know what you mean Bev - bring back the matrons I say!
Glad everything normal so far
Ellie
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

No worries MM {hug} the doctor who I saw once for my back thought I was a bit hypertensive - but then I blooming well would have been as I was in complete agony with my back!!

Thanks Ellie {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Blimey this thing is going off every 10 minutes I'm sure! She said it goes at 20 minute intervals..... think I'd better phone! :?
Bev x

madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

OOOOH ER!!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Welcome to the customer side of the NHS.
Great if you are seriously ill, not so great if you are passing through.
I put it down to overwork, then I asked a nurse what a CTPA scan was.
I was informed it was a scan of the pelvis and abdomen.
It was not a nurse under training.
Loads more of similar incidents.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Poor you Bob {hug}

Personally, I think it is a touch of being overworked but also some people that have infiltrated the nursing profession who quite clearly don't have an empathetic bone in their body.

Having worked in the NHS and private sectors, I've seen some absolutely horrid nurses and it's made me even more determined NOT to be like them!

Funnily enough I asked this woman today why the 12 lead ECG (instead of 3) and she said "it's just what we always do" - hardly reassuring hey?!!! :?

I guess I'm just used to explaining things and answering questions as best I can and if not, finding an answer.

I phoned them up by the way about it going off all the time. Apparently I've got to keep absolutely still when it's taking a reading!! She told me to 'keep still' but not that it would carry on again and again until it gets a correct reading!!! }hairout{
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Well folks, I'll unhook at 3:50pm precisely! And it can't come soon enough - dratted thing!!!

It's getting quite painful and my arm is going purple every time it pumps up! I tried loosening the cuff but it gave off some crazy reading of systolic 200??!!! Which totally isn't right yike* {warn}

I've been keeping an eye on it - maybe I shouldn't? And mostly I've been around 120 or 130 but whilst I was doing my back exercises and cleaning the kitchen it went up to 140 >coc<

I'm not a good patient am I hey!
Last edited by Benny&Co on 16 Dec 2011, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Bev x

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I think that monitoring blood pressure is not an exact science but all we have. I do suffer from white coat syndrome, which is now recognised when I go anywhere. This has come about from being given blood pressure medication because it was slightly up. This from my GP who gave me four different ones to get one to suit. I ended up in A&E with a 11hr episode of atrial fibrillation. This is a known side effect of most medication for blood pressure for a small amount of people.
I stopped all tablets, bought myself a home monitor which shows that my pressure is normal, as it is when I am actually in hospital. However, a consultation for anything sends it flying. Unfortunatley, I have the atrial fib for life. The heart consultant wanted me to try the blood pressure tabs again and again back into A&E three times in a week. I refuse to take them now. Unfortunately my tabs for the atrial fib also have side effects.
I only tell you this Bev, because I think that doctors are too ready to follow government guidlines for certain things. Try not to worry or you will have the problem of it going up when you have to see a doctor. Even when I take mine at home, my first one is sometimes a bit high, simply because I'm hoping it won't be.
I should say that my now GP agrees with me that my blood pessure is normal.

As long as you feel fit, don't worry. x2
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Aww thank you June {hug}

That's exactly what I'm doing - looking at the dastardly thing and hoping it's going to be normal. It's a vicious circle isn't it.

I really don't want to have to take BP tablets {cry}

Oh here we go, it's off again.................
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Feel like taking the dratted thing off }hairout{ and getting my own like you June.

I have my own manual sphyg and stethoscope, but I can't manage to do it on myself if you see what I mean. I guess I could train Hubbly to use it though....
Bev x

Livvy Lum
Lively Laner

Post by Livvy Lum »

I have also been on the 24 hour BP monitor on two occasions as I went through a few phases where my blood pressure was very high every time I stepped foot into the doctors surgery. My machine used to go off every half an hour in the day time and every hour at night time. I also had every test going to check nothing dodgy was going on but was also diagnosed with "white coat syndrome" in the end as every reading came up normal throughout the day/night.

Having said that though, my blood pressure was sky high when I was pregnant with my first daughter to the point of being admitted into hospital, having to take tablets to try and bring it down and then finally being induced, but then when I was pregnant with my second daughter it went down so low the other way, I fainted in "Go Outdoors" and they called me an ambulance. (I was very embarrassed)

Blood pressure is a funny old thing, but I think we all need to be careful as you can feel totally fine on the outside but there can be untoward things going on in the inside.

June
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Well my report arrived today....

Apparently my BP is okay and I'm a 'dipper' which courtesey of Goggle I found to mean that my BP goes down at night time.

Interestingly they noted the 200 odd systolic reading!! That was when I took the blooming cuff off!!

Not surprised they mention tachycardia on the ECG as that health assistant wasn't very nice at all!

Glad I don't need to have medication though, phew! )t' :-D
Bev x

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Glad it's good news Bev {hug} ..