Home laundry detergent £1.50 for 10 gallons

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Home laundry detergent £1.50 for 10 gallons

Post by Don Roberto »

Hey you frugal laners, I just came across a site on YouTube, it's called The Urban Farm Guys, and they show you how to make your own washing detergent. It costs about £1.50 for 10 gallons, that's enough for about 8 months of laundry for a family of 5. They use readily available ingredients from any supermarket, they are a couple of bars of household soap, some borax powder, and some washing soda, mixed together with hot water. Don't know how good it is, but the Americans on the site rave about it. Have a look at the site and maybe a couple of you could get together and give it a try, who knows it may be brilliant. Cheers me dears........ +confused+
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: Home laundry detergent £1.50 for 10 gallons

Post by Stef »

I might just do that. I'm sick and tired of the prices of nasty, hideously strong smelling tablets/capsules/powder.

I just want something that cleans. Mind you I'd be tempted to add my own fragrances.

I'm off to have a look!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

The video is HERE
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

Hi Stef, the website for this video has a forum attached, and they say that you can add a fragrance by using about 10 to 15 drops of essential oils. Cheers me dears......
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I think I may have most of the ingredients in the house/shed.... no, the borax bucket is empty!

I shall order up some more in the NY and see how it works!

Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I found a site that gives instructions for a powder version (amongst others) http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/homemade-laundry-detergent.html

So I have put an order in to Amazon, though I'll look at one of the brewing sites before I place the order.

It looks dead easy to make and use and sooooooooooooooo cheap!

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

That certainly does look soooooo interesting.
I will have to try half or quarter the ingredients though as there's only 2 of us these days :)
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

There was a lady talking about this too on our local radio the other day.

It sounds very interesting as I love my washing, but at £4.50 for a tub of my usual it's getting a bit beyond a joke!! +confused+
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
poncharetta
Lively Laner

Post by poncharetta »

Have used Borax in laundry for ages!! Fabulous stuff, Borax and Bicarb can achieve a multitude of things!
For an anti-creepy crawlies and freshening carpet sprinkle, try this . . .
Mix one cup of bicarb with one cup of borax. Add 20 drops of essential oils (10 lemon and 10 peppermint is ice as is 10 peppermint + 10 thyme or 10 thyme + 10 lemon). Press the oils in to the mixture thoroughly with the back of a spoon for a few minutes and mix again, thoroughly.
Put mix into a jam jar with holes punched into the lid. Sprinkle on to carpets, leave for 20 mins then vacuum, lovely!
Borax has also helped clear a fungal / bacterial infection in my horses hooves )t'
What good is freedom if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes - by someone famous
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm really quite interested in this so was looking at various websites.

Managed to get hold of some washing soda crystals and the soap in Sasda's today and I'm going to order some borax from Amazon.

Does anyone know any UK sites that have recipes - I'm finding a lot of the American ones are making up huge quantities. I don't really want to do that in case I don't like it or it doesn't work :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm chuffed, have just ordered some soap flakes, bicarb and borax all from Amazon and it was free because I won a £20 gift voucher to spend with them.

Still trying to find a UK recipe though - also finding a lot of the american ones are using soap brands I've never heard of.
Bev x

poncharetta
Lively Laner

Post by poncharetta »

Benny&co I had a book once called 'The Green Clean', I'm sure I got my borax recipes from there. There's also a few sites that have recipes too. Maybe try searching tinternet for different phrases (borax around the home) (101 ways with borax)?? and ask for UK pages only?
Also mixed 50 / 50 with bicarb it makes a great shoe freshener!! Leave it in overnight, empty out and vacuum in the morning, like a daisy.
What good is freedom if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes - by someone famous
manda

Post by manda »

You make it up with equal parts of borax, soap and washing soda and so if you want just mix a cup or even half a cup of each and see whether you like using it Bev.

Google it and add UK in your search and I'm sure there will be sites will come up.

Dont know if anyone else does this but when you want to break up the soap bar rather than grating it you can stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes ..the bar starts to swell and the air bubbles in between the soap particles expand ..let it cool down and then rub it in between your hands to make the powder. You can then do a third quarter of a bar if you want so the rest is intact.

This one makes a powder and so you don't have bottles or liquid standing around everywhere....just a thought.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Even I could do that, )t'

Don't know when though. :?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Awww cheers for that guys )t'

I've been goggling all permeatations trying to find UK sites but to no avail.

Not to worry though, sure I'll get there. Good tip about microwaving the soap Manda, cheers )t'

Will have a little play when all my goodies arrive >stir<

Just told Hubbly what I'm planning to do.... {rofwl}
Bev x