Home laundry detergent £1.50 for 10 gallons

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Home laundry detergent £1.50 for 10 gallons

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Just don't go mad and start starching his Y fronts. Nothing worse than starched pants. Most uncomfortable yike*
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Just don't go mad and start starching his Y fronts. Nothing worse than starched pants. Most uncomfortable yike*
Dom

Awww Dom!! {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
poncharetta
Lively Laner

Post by poncharetta »

Dom what on earth did you DO to deserve that????!!! {rofwl} {rofwl} :shock:
What good is freedom if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes - by someone famous
bosephus
Lively Laner

Post by bosephus »

manda wrote:You make it up with equal parts of borax, soap and washing soda and so if you want just mix a cup or even half a cup of each and see whether you like using it Bev.

Google it and add UK in your search and I'm sure there will be sites will come up.

Dont know if anyone else does this but when you want to break up the soap bar rather than grating it you can stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes ..the bar starts to swell and the air bubbles in between the soap particles expand ..let it cool down and then rub it in between your hands to make the powder. You can then do a third quarter of a bar if you want so the rest is intact.

This one makes a powder and so you don't have bottles or liquid standing around everywhere....just a thought.

just don't put too much soap in there! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lAOOwMNodA
manda

Post by manda »

Forgot to say that...and you need to leave the microwave open to let the smell of soap out ...but I'd still rather do that than grate it :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

yike* maybe I'd better stick to the grater )c+ >stir< {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Just don't go mad and start starching his Y fronts. Nothing worse than starched pants. Most uncomfortable yike*
Dom

There is something worse having the pant pophole sewn up and you not knowing it, my aunt did that to my uncle to get him out of y fronts and into boxers
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

It runs in the family dunnit )j;

That streak
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Steve the Gas wrote:It runs in the family dunnit )j;

That streak

Oh yes
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hey folks, well all my bits and bobs arrived over the weekend, so I thought I'd try it all out yesterday >stir<

Still haven't found a UK recipe for laundry liquid, there's one for powder but I wanted to try liquid first.

Here's what I did:

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup grated soap

First off I melted the soap in a bit of boiled water then added the rest to a litre.

Then I chucked in the Borax/Washing soda (it all overboiled too {rofwl} )

Then I put it all in a big box with lid and added another 5Lt to make 6 litres.

Kept stirring through the day and I'd seen somewhere that you need to leave it to rest for 24hours.

Got up this morning and it's all separated. There's a very thin white liquid and what looks like the water...? :?

Maybe I shouldn't have put the borax/washing soda in with the soap to melt?

Think I might try the powdered version next.... :?
Bev x

manda

Post by manda »

More soap needed Bev.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh okay, thanks Manda. More of the grated soap do you mean?

Wonder if that's why it separated. Forgot to say also I put about 3 drops of lavender essential oil in there as well, but don't think that would've caused it hey?

I mixed it up a bit and tried out on some towels anyway, put a litre of the stuff in the drawer and another litre in the drum for good measure. They seem to be okay....

I thought I had to put equal measures of all the ingredients in? :-D
Bev x

manda

Post by manda »

Different soaps different effects...but whatever soap you are using I would say use some more .....then you may get a more stringy feel to it...and don't keep stirring it leave it to sit because that's how it starts to get that stringy thing going.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

:? I think I would have gone with the powder....sounds much easier!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ah righty, maybe that's why as I did stirr it a bit, both in the pan and then in the big box - ooops! :oops: {rofwl}
Bev x