Sideways gro-bags next season!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Sideways gro-bags next season!

Post by Mallard »

I've a few bits of timber about after testing Gareth's pallet wrecking bar. So I started on next season's gro-bag holders for the toms! I decided on trying the bags on their sides.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
ChrisG

Re: Sideways gro-bags next season!

Post by ChrisG »

Sideways would certainly take up less room. The holders are looking good )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Cheers Mallard.
Where's the shaking fist in anger smiley?
Ali has just told me she wants me to make half a dozen by yesterday at the latest :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Cheers Mallard.
Ali has just told me she wants me to make half a dozen by yesterday at the latest :-D
Dom

Don't forget the suitable low benches to fasten them too! )grin2(
- Pablo Picasso
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

Sideways grow-bags supported by a bit of Pallet; now that is a good idea mate. I think I'll use them as borders around our veg patches to plant up some Marigolds in )t' .

They should also act as a physical barrier for carrot root fly, as I have read somewhere that they can only attain an altitude of 20 cm unaided by the wind, and planted up, they should provide a visual deterrent to remind the dog that he's not allowed on the veg plots.

Recently, I've been collecting these "1/3" size pallets from the local plumbers merchants, the decks are 120cm X 33cm, and I've wondered what I could do with them without having to strip them down: I think I have the answer!

Regards

Gareth
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Cheers Mallard.
Dom

{rofwl}
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

At least I got the measurements about right, I bought half a dozen gro-bags from BnM barguns this morning at £1.27 each. :-D I might get a couple more, but my trolley only holds three and the walk from the high street to the lotty is a good half mile! :shock:
- Pablo Picasso
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Mallard wrote:At least I got the measurements about right, I bought half a dozen gro-bags from BnM barguns this morning at £1.27 each. :-D I might get a couple more, but my trolley only holds three and the walk from the high street to the lotty is a good half mile! :shock:

>mmm< That looks fantastic and they fit!!!! )app(
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

did yout toms do well inthe sideways bags?
Bah Humbug
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

None of my tomatoes did well, they're residing in the wheelbarrow waiting for a bonfire, the dreaded blight! {mr.angry}
As for the sideways bit, well it's not easy to get enough water into them, and it's difficult pulling the bags from the frames!
Sideways gro-bab frames, FREE to a good home! )grin2(
- Pablo Picasso
jimslad
Learner Laner

Post by jimslad »

I have used the side on method for a few years now and think it is a great way to use them .i used old laminate flooring for the sides of my holders ,and cuttings of old decking boards for the ends , with an old piece of pallet board for feet if i wanted them free standing , some others i used i never put feet on them just just a bot conduit pipe knocked into the ground at the corners to hold them in place and used them to form a small barrier like wall around my flower beds .
Watering if i feel they are not getting wet right down through , i do the same as my large strawberry tubs , i insert a couple of bits of old 2" waste water pipe with a bung knocked in the end and about 3or4 holes drilled in it gets the water down into the bottom of the bag.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I was just wondering if you could use the same idea for growing things like peas & beans, or maybe carrots to keep them up above the flies. I have heavy clay soil here, so I could use them like sort of narrow raised beds. Thanks for the idea.