Help me and others to stop smoking

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Help me and others to stop smoking

Post by Richard »

OK. Here's the low down. You know I've been somewhat unwell of late with a nasty chest infection.
When I went to the Hospital 2 weeks ago they also found I have early Emphysema, so it's not going to get better, but it won't get worse if quit smoking.

I wouldn't have known it if they hadn't told me, I feel exactly the same in stamina, work rate wise and showing off, I surprise lot's of people a third of my age with how I keep up etc. I mean I cycled 1,000 miles last June!

That and also having a stomach ulcer diagnosed a month ago - I need to take action overall!

What I've done so far...

I'm still finishing off a packet of bacci which I've had for about three weeks, about 5 / 6 a day.

Next Friday I am going to the local NHS Stop Smoking Clinic. My sister (65) gave up smoking through them last Autumn, like me smoked for over 40 years, they gave her lot's of freebies like puffers, electric ciggies, patches etc.

So that will be my action day.

It's not about finance, I get 70% off by doing a couple of hours trip accross to Belgium, it's about me and kicking a habit which has been every single day for the last 17,000, so it's not going to be easy.

So - please follow my progress and help me QUIT SMOKING !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Help me and others to stop smoking

Post by mrs boodles »

Hi richard, I am sorry to hear you have chest problems, packing up the smoking is such a positive move sooooooo GO RICHARD you can do it.
As an aside , have they given you a diagnosis of COPD.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Eeeeeek !!thank goodness you had the illness that you have had and have been given the chance to change your health NOW!!! Good luck and all my support for the coming weeks and months ahead... )t' {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You're right, lucky enough to get it seen early enough. It's strange because I've been to Hospital before about other things thinking waste of time., but I kind of was expecting something this time. I could tell by the way the Doctor was when having a listen around and by how I felt, which was terrible for a few days.

Think the biggest kick up the butt was that I got home from the x-ray and two hours later got the phonecall "Hello Richard, Doctor Geeta here". The heart lost a couple of beats!!

I haven't had anything else diagnosed but will get more info next week.

Silly maybe, but my father, two father-in-laws, my oldest friend all went at 64. The chap two doors down is 63 and has incurable asbestosis. I'm 64 next month, so it's hanging on my mind a bit.

I want my Old Age Pension next year :-D :-D

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Well done Richard )t' . Sometimes it takes a bad illness or a scare to give us the kick up the backside we need. I'm an ex smoker (was a long time ago) and its the best thing I ever did for my health.
The smoking cessation clinics are really good at supporting you.
We'll be with you all the way )t' )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

)app( )app( Best of luck.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Richard {hug&kiss}

Good on you for deciding to quit and you have my wholehearted support too {hug&kiss}

Wishing you every success and a life of no more horrible fags :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

You need to WANT TO STOP NOW, not next week.
Finiahing off some Baccy says to me that you do not want to stop:-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Really hope you can get this beaten. Sending best wishes.

Dad stopped at 65 and Father in law at 75, and it made a huge difference to them both. My neighbour had a blocked artery which nearly killed her and she was told to stop smoking - but she won't because she "doesn't like being told to" }hairout{ }hairout{ .
Mother in law was diagnosed too late and she died before her grandson was born.
When they started to smoke the health effects were unknown but now it is pretty clear.

Use all the helps they can give you and our support, but only you can make it work. Seeing your grandchildren through a particular milestone might be a usefull target.

And you definitely need to be drawing that pension for as many years as possible, you have paid in, you need to get your moneysworth back )grin2(
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I agree with fishpond...flush the rest of the bacci down the toilet ( you'll keep thinking about it if it's in the bin) .. and keep repeating to yourself ' I don't smoke!!' .. .. it only takes 21 days to change a lifetime habit .. You can do this Richard .. I'm sure we're all willing you to give up..{hug} {hug} ..best thing I ever did )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Not the bog, sell it!

I really need to do this....
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

I,m with you all the way Richard..I started again last December..just needed a bit of help through a really cr@p time but I have cut down. I was smoking 10-15 a day but have cut it down to about 5-8 a day. Even when Will caught me outside and told me off it wasn,t enough to make me quit. I had pre cancerous cells in my breast when I was 22 so the fact I could develop cancer in always on my mind :?
I WILL stop...just helps at the moment.
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

You can do this Richard. Just keep at the forefront of your mind that you will not crave ciggies forever - the worst of it is the first couple of weeks.

Also, don't forget, from the time you start, when anyone asks you, you don't smoke.

Good luck. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Steve the Gas wrote:Not the bog, sell it!

I really need to do this....

What's stopping you?

lizziedoggarden wrote:I WILL stop...just helps at the moment.

I bet you'd find it easier to put that weight on if you stopped now.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

You are probably right there LBF {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!