Help me and others to stop smoking

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mad Chick

Re: Help me and others to stop smoking

Post by Mad Chick »

Good luck Richard, we're all behind you {hug}

It's a good idea to wait until your appointment with the clinic before giving up as they'll give you patches etc to help you. If you try now before getting the help, it'll be even harder )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

You wont need any help from us Richard.........Just remember your family ,and hear that oxygen machine and you wont want to end things like that!!!!!!! {cry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Richard, good luck!

I am an ex smoker and also used to work as a Smoking Cessation Facilitator!! OK, I helped people stop smoking! I still run a monthly group for those who are newly given up, it's a maintenance group that help people cope with the occasional slip, weight gain, etc.

If you need any handy hints or just a metaphorical slap and you can't get to the NHS bods let me know, I'll be more than happy to help.

If you don't I won't say a word. There's nothing worse than a well meant platitude to send you back to the fags in high dudgeon! :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Oh, and you are right about the 'stop now' stuff. DO NOT!

You will probably be asked to spend a week considering it, keeping a diary and pondering each fag. You need to understand why you smoke each fag so you can decide for yoruself when to stop smoking it! That puts you in control!

I'll shut up - the NHS lot will be full of advice!

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks Stef and everyone.

I think my thing is that before the x-ray result, I didn't really consider giving up smoking.

I'm sure most who have on here either did it as a New Years resolution or they'd been thinking about it for a while.
I'd imagine it's quite rare and nigh on impossible to go into wherever for a few minutes, come out and say, I'm not having another one!

My sister has done extremely well and she smoked more than me and more in a social situation.

I am intent on doing it and I think the thing is that it's easy to stop, but very very hard to keep that up!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bobsbabes
Lively Laner

Post by bobsbabes »

Good luck. Hubby and I quit 14 years ago and haven't missed it at all.Just remember you can do it and take it one Ciggy at a time each one you don't have is a success .
Sadly we lost dad on oct 2010 to sclc but even that hasn't made my brother interested in giving up.
Treating Titchy the globe trotting chook to a trip to Disney :)
manda

Post by manda »

I have said before I am a smoking cessation facilitator.....I was a 40 a day smoker and have given up twice in my smoking life....the first with my eldest son (started again 2 years after he was born) and the second with my youngest son (15 years between them so back to smoking for 13 years)...I haven't smoked now for the last 7 years.

Both times I didn't want to give up if I'm honest Richard and Al but I didn't feel I could enforce my habit on someone else who didn't have a choice if was smoking ...babies don't. I decided to stay off the smokes as much for my children as me....and up till now I've never felt the need to have one again...I don't think I'm a born again non-smoker but I'm glad I did manage to give up.

I think you are well advised to plan...get the Nicotine replacement stuff and the support...the statistics all point to that being the most effective way to giving up and stay giving up......I did it without but the stats for that are miserable only a minute number give up this way and stay off the smokes....NRT is the way to give up and increase your chance of success....if you need to psych yourself up for it then do what you need to ...you do what you have to do for it to be a success for you.

You give up for whatever your reasons....just get them clear in your head and use them as your personal motivator....and you know where we are when you need someone (and you got enough of us!).... {hug&kiss}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Two DTL experts, Richard you are in trouble :-D

I had no idea you did that too, Manda? I suspect we two will be the least vocal on this one! Me most especially as I did just throw my fags away one day! OH struggled and when his mum died started again - he has not managed to quit again since!

So I do know how difficult it is to make / re-make that decision. It really does have to start with a uniquely personal choice....

manda

Post by manda »

I did exactly the same Stef on both occasions just scrunched the packet up and threw then in the bin but I had a strong motivator and didn't know about the stats )grin2( ....

Hubby has been given up 3 years now (after I did the smoking cessation course )grin2( ) he had tried without NRT but he went through hell...the NRT was the thing that did the trick for him and he was able to stay off the cigs...so it can work wonders...hopefully for Richard and Al >fi< >fi<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I have just ordered a quit kit online and on monday I will go and get some patches.
The last time I stopped was around fifteen years ago and I was off them for a couple of years. I didnt use anything in the way of nrt I just decided when I had finished the packet I wouldnt buy anymore. looking back my memory of it is that it was easy. :? I am sure my memory must be playing tricks with me though.
In a strange way I am looking forward to it but I bet my attitude changes a few days in. :-D
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Trust your memory.

And expect to have to give it a good kicking :-D

Good luck.

wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done. The longest journeys start with the first step.
You will do it. )t'
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

AL37 wrote:Stopping smoking has been in the back of my mind for a long time now. So I am with you Richard, next friday it is. )t'

Well done Al, here's supporting you too {hug&kiss} )c(

Now we just need Steve to get his ducks in order and we'll be behind him too >eas2< )c(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah, I got my Quit Kit a couple of days ago. Lot of bumph and facts, but you'll like the worrying beads !!!

There are various reasons for giving up aren't there. Most I'd say give it up because they want to, it's the minority who give it up because they have to!!
That's where I'm at, I don't want to give it up, but know if I don't my health will deteriorate and it's goodnight Nurse a bit sooner than I'd hoped!

Way to go Al.

Manda and Stef - is there no hiding place :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Well done AL37, for stating your intentions to quit the weed.

I would also like to apologise for my previous post on this thread after re-reading I see that I may have come across a little bombastic, and that was never my intention. Of course Richard you should do it your way, and I wish you and AL37 well with your intentions. Good luck lads :-D :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap