Knee replacement

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Knee replacement

Post by aishakali »

It seems I will probably be in line for knee replacement surgery due to Osteoarthritis. Has anyone any experience of the op? Feeling a bit apprehensive :?
LYN
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Knee replacement

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My Grandma has had both knees replace - the first when she was about 70, the second ten years later - it made a huge difference to her quality of life, hopefully it will be the same for you x
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

No...wish I had. I need 2 new knees and 1 hip!!!!!! Read up on the internet...lots of info. I know 2 people who have had knee replacement, both had both knees done and have never looked back. My problem is I live on my own and have various animls to look after. I know my neighbour would do the outside animals but can't expect her to look after me as well....so I don't know what I am going to do. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago with arthritis in both knees and have been plodding on by "keep taking the tablets" but they are not doing much good and pain killers don't really work. The hip was diagnosed last October and keeping that going by expensive injections and have had to slow down as regards gym etc. Only allowed to swim.
GO FOR IT
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Val, hire yourself a live in carer for the time required with the proceeds from your auction.
One who like looking after animals too. )grin2(
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I agree. (and maybe see if they'll do both knees, both hips & anything else you fancy at the same time - tonsils? appendix? )j; )

edited to add - my Mum had her hip done & it's made a huge difference to her - she's lost lots of weight since then, purely because she's able to get around a bit more. (she has osteo arthritis too)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Hey Lynn, my dad has had both knees done. The first one was 12 years ago and it's been great, the second was about 7 years ago and he does still get a bit of pain from that one but says its still better than it was before.
The op is fairly straightforward and usually you get a general anaesthetic for it, although some have it done under a spinal which means they're awake but numb from the hips down. These days they like you to get up and about fairly soon afterwards so you'll be seen by the physics etc to help you with that.
Pain wise my dad said it was fine, he had regular opioids which worked well and he didn't get any side effects.
You have to think it all through and decide if it's the right thing for you, operations are always a scary thought but hopefully the positives would outweigh the negatives. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Thanks all. Go4 I hope you can get sorted before too long. It must be even more miserable with 2 knees AND your hip needing repair.
Thanks Ellie. I dont know anybody who has had a knee replacement so it was very helpful hearing about your Dad. If I am offered the surgery I think I will accept. Im fed up of not being able to walk more than 10 mins without quite severe pain. Theres loads I cant do because of it. My sister is coming over from NZ next month and will be expecting me to shop for England with her, I think I will have to carry a folding stool around with me :? Thanks again guys )t'
LYN
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

My Dad has had both knees done, one was done twice 'cos they set it 11 degrees out fom where it should have been.
He cannot kneel down though - ever... :?
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I could not live with a live in carer who was doing the animals...you don't know me. Kneeling is usually a big NO after TKR anyway.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

My Grandma can't kneel down either, but tbh, if she could, she prolly couldn't get up again :?
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Hi
My Brother has had both knees done,the first one about 4 years ago and the second one a year later. It has made a big difference to him and whilst he is still a bit stiff walking ,he doesn't need the walking sticks that he needed pre replacement. He can't kneel down either but he doesn't have the pain that he used to suffer due the osteoarthritis. My brother is almost 70 now and having these knee replacements done has given him more freedom to go out and about than he had before so I would say that was a success. )t'
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Steve the Gas wrote:My Dad has had both knees done, one was done twice 'cos they set it 11 degrees out fom where it should have been.
He cannot kneel down though - ever... :?

Thanks for that Steve :? Thats made me feel a whole lot better :shock: :b(
LYN
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

A fact though, however he is prolly 3 stones overweight and losing some of that will help him alot.

I'm sure you will be fine. :-D )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would go for it sooner rather than later, as your condition is unlilkey to improve on it's own. I know one of my garden centre customers (only my age, but did a lot of running) has had both his knees replaced and you would never know. Very successful.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Thanks for that Helen :-D My minds going up and down like a yoyo. You have just put it up again )t'
LYN