beer!!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
pond
Lively Laner

beer!!

Post by pond »

Would anyone know how to get the sediment out of home-brew (especially lager)?

I have made homebrew lager a few times, it tastes OK, easy to get the fizz, but I like to drink from bottles and cannot find out how to get the sediment out.

I tried straining it, but it's too fine.

Just a thought
Upped sticks to live quiet, self-sufficiency life in the country. It's taking longer than I thought!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think you may just have to let the sediment settle in the bottom of the bottle then pour it carefully. With wine, you rack it (syphon it off the sediment) but dont thim that would worh with beer.

I have just bought some super beer from a farmers market and was told to store it upright & pour carefully to avoid the sediment. And I remember certain beers had sediment in the bottle when I was a barmaid (years ago!)
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It's the sediment that gives the fizz to beer (that is, it is the dead yeast that eventually settles out after converting the sugars to alcohol & carbon dioxide) - drinking home brew straight from a bottle is never going to be an option ^b:

Some pressure barrel have a sort of u bend syphon which means you can serve yourself a glass of sediment free beer, but appreciate it is not out of a bottle (unless you dispense it into a bottle instead of glass LOL)
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

sediment in the beero

Post by 4 french hens »

Scuse the heading. (Thinking of Thin Lizzy)
Easy one this. To remove sediment go to the local homebrew shop or the internet and purchase a product called Issinglass also known as Finnings.
Follow the instructions on the packet they are usually mix with a small amount of the beer/wine add to the brew, stir and rack off, (siphon off) the clear beer about 24 hours later.
Issinglass is a fish product and does not affect the flavour of the brew and vegans can buy a non animal version, although I've no idea what this is.
Enjoy, without me, dammnation,
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Hi There,

We use a pressure barrel and once we have drunk the 40+ pints in it, we aren't too bothered about the one of two in the bottom which are a bit too cloudy ((w

I'd love to make a bottled beer but I'm guessing it would take a lot more effort. This one works out at less than 40p a pint so we're happy with that )t'
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Harry Flashman VC
Learner Laner

Post by Harry Flashman VC »

Just started for the first time 5 gallons of homebrew larger.

HF VC
Ed Jones
Learner Laner

Post by Ed Jones »

corrr, careful with homebrew, i used to make lots of it, and there was always plenty of cheap quaffable booze about...until i weighed myself and i'd hit 18 stone!

The phenemenonononon your asking about is the result of the beer being bottle conditioned, if you were a tight arse like me and you used 2 ltr pop bottles to store it, it could be decanted into a jug, preferably not translucent as you could see all the bits of twigs and crud floating about in it, but there was always the option of sieving it thrugh your teeth, fourth pint always tastes much better!

Storing the bottles on their end and pouring slowly into a glass are the only option. using finings will clear the beer, but the yeast has to go somewhere. enjoy