ethical fishcakes

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

ethical fishcakes

Post by saint-spoon »

OK so I am not having a dig at the man because I truly believe that he has done a lot of good regarding school dinners and stuff but I am a bit pensive about Jaymiee Olive-er’s new range of supposedly ocean friendly fish products. I gave a couple a go today for lunch because they were on special at Son-of-morris, although saying that they were still expensive at 2 packets of 2 fishcakes for £3. They were very nice by the way. They profess to be eco friendly and are made from Pollock which is obviously better than cod but can anything that harvests the sea on an industrial scale ever be ecologically sound?
Last edited by manda on 24 Mar 2012, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: eco was spelt echo....=)
Bah Humbug
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: ethical fishcakes

Post by HappyBob »

It seems very expensive as Alaskan pollock wholesale is around 2500 euros per metric ton (£2091) even asuming that a pair of JO.s fish cakes were not bulked out with wheat and breadcrumb and they did indeed contain 180gms per pair of Alaskan Pollock then 1000kg/0.180 = 5555 pkts of fish cakes at £2.29 a pop would give a return of £12,720. I dont know what the production costs would be but paying approx £1.15 for a fishcake that costs approx 3p to build,I certainly wont be giving them a try :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap