Legal Tree Height

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Legal Tree Height

Post by Lillia »

We are wondering if there is a limit to the height of trees before you are obligated to cut them back?
Legally, is there a point where you must trim trees (height), if asked?
The conifers are really annoying, blocking our sun...we can ask the neighbors but is it up to them whether they cut them or not? (or are there legal limits?)
Is it offensive to make such a request?
Thank you~ :-D
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Legal Tree Height

Post by Grannyof4 »

http://freespace.virgin.net/william.moo ... dgelaw.htm

I think this can cause more falling out of neighbours than anything else.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Grannyof4 wrote:http://freespace.virgin.net/william.moodie/wx/hedgelaw.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this can cause more falling out of neighbours than anything else.

Thank you Grannyof4...going there now~ :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have been battling for years with my neighbour, they are as tall as our house, block our light and the garden is bone dry, I politely asked the neighbour to trim them, they are encroaching on our borders etc, and was told to @8&%$ off, we havn't spoken since.

I enquired at the local council who were happy to help for £400 but there was no guarantee we would win the case and then costs could also be down to us. +confused+

Her garden is a tip and we love the garden {cry} I have been polite enough and completed everything legally, I have been informed if the neighbour is rude and offensive like last time we could report her and she may get an anti social behaviour whatever you call them, that would be great but the conifers would stay the same +confused+

All council sites have good sections on neighbours tree heights and problems but sadly it is really no help in my opinion, we really begrudge spending £400 on something which may have no effect at all.

They will get a trimming when the nesting birds have gone and I will offer her the branches, all the branches on our property that I am legally bound to do, according to our local council.

}hairout{ }hairout{
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It is a complete nightmare, I have every sympathy with you. When we moved here, the neighbours had a row of Leylandii at the end of their garden - it shaded the whole top of our garden. We were so pleased when they moved out - the new people had the trees down completely within a month of moving in!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wish she would move out, there would be a chainsaw in the garden quicker than she could shut the front door behind her, horrid things when let to grow out of control }hairout{
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you walked into my MILs road you went past the side of a house and it's back garden from the other road. All the houses had long gardens, so on one side she had quite a lot of neighbours (ifyouseewhatimean). Along the side of her house there was only a small space (hardly wide enough to walk), between the house and their gardens. The person whose garden backed onto her bungalow put up an enormous shed - bigger than a garage - right at the bottom of the garden, well away from his house but completely blocking her bathroom window, taking all the light and making the bedroom quite gloomy too. The council could do nothing, no planning needed.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

My sister is also fighting this battle with a woman whose garden half backs on to Judis and half onto the next door neighbour . Judi has been round to try to get something agreed but the woman just says she can't afford to pay for these huge trees to be lopped (she put them in in the 1st place mind you) and was quite rude to Judi. The next door neighbours won't go round again with Judi because they are whimps basically but do moan about the lack of light in the garden at any given opportunity. These trees now appear to be dying off, of their own accord as they are all rusty looking more than half way up the trunk , Judi is now concerned in case they topple in a high wind and end up in her garden and through the patio doors.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
wendy

Post by wendy »

We have 12.... yes 12 conifers in the back garden. All kindly planted by the previous owner :?
It is a job and a half every early spring to keep them back to a managable height of about 10 ft. Fortunately they are all at the back of the garden. But heaven knows what will happen when we are too old to do it. I am sure they will cost an arm and a leg to get someone in to do them.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

perchy wrote:I have been battling for years with my neighbour.....
}hairout{ }hairout{

It's quite disheartening, isn't it, Perchy? :?
perchy

Post by perchy »

Lillia wrote:
}hairout{ }hairout{

It is when we try so hard to keep the garden nice, look after the hens and grow our own and both work full time }hairout{

Will take a pic at some point )ang
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

perchy wrote:
Lillia wrote:
}hairout{ }hairout{

It is when we try so hard to keep the garden nice, look after the hens and grow our own and both work full time }hairout{

Will take a pic at some point

Good, would like to see... :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

I never thought this would be resolved but )c( I asked someone to come and trim the conifers as I had had enough of loss in the veggie garden, no light in the house etc and thought in for a penny, he duly went to the neighbour and explained that he was trimming the conifers and did she want the stuff he cut off back, well she said she would rather they came down al together and a fence put up >dowhat<
We have since negotiated and she is paying for the trees to come down, taken away etc and we are having the fence put up, as it is our border, we will go for concrete plinths and the fence will be 6 foot.
Here is a pic of them now }hairout{ from the bedroom window

We are going to rearrange the garden when it is done and possible move the girls Ark etc, will keep you updated
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

)c( )c( .. You must be thrilled to bits .. conifers suck all the goodness out of the soil so your garden will really benefit from them going. )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Certainly are thrilled! and we have plenty of compost to give it a good nourishment over the winter )t'