Solar Panels - Great, but Ugly?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Solar Panels - Great, but Ugly?

Post by Richard »

[center]Image[/center]

I really do applaud those who invest in Solar Panels.

It's a huge financial investment and I'd imagine one which takes a long time to pay for itself, maybe better pay back if selling a Property.
Pity the initial investment is above affordability for many.

On the environmental side it's a great thing to do, but one thing I do question is....

....the look of them!

I have no doubt someone may put me right in so far there are designs which blend in better, but personally, I find that a nice stroll or cycle ride down a Country Lane is a tad tarnished by a beautiful Cottage or House with a roof splattered with technology.

Add to that a Satellite Dish, oh dear, although I am aware you can buy Dishes which do blend in better - but not widely known.

What are your views?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Solar Panels - Great, but Ugly?

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I agree - once we're settled in a 'for ever' house, we will probably look more seriously in to solar panels, but, I really don't like the look of them. There are a lot of houses in our street with solar panels, and I think they look awful - really spoils the look of an area which is predominantly made up of Victorian town-houses. (That said, from the top of the Carn, the whole look of the town is spoiled by the rabbit-hutches that have been squeezed into every corner over the last decade, so solar panels are probably the least of our worries)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Hi Richard
I too find the solar panels a bit unsightly but the sight of satellite dishes everywhere does my head in }hairout{

Eck
wendy

Post by wendy »

Very true, we seem to have had a blitz around here and there are loads of them.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think the problem is that technology sometimes is a bit too ahead of itself, a great rush to get something going.
I have no doubt that in a few years the visual side will be corrected - then, all those who have them now will be scorned upon because of the appearance.

I wonder how many haven't brought a house because of the looks even though they can see the benefits.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

There seems to be a big surge in them here too .. I think you can still get them installed free with certain grants :?
There are 2 houses in particular that make me laugh.. one has had them installed so that he can have a hot tub and sauna installed, so no environmental benefit there!! .. and the other has had to have his roof strengthened after it started collapsing under the weight, so no financial benefit there.. I think I'd rather go without electricity than have them on my beautiful welsh slate roof .ang.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We did look into having them installed for the environmental benefits. Yes, there are grants to help with the costs so that made it almost affordable. And as our house isn't a beautiful cottage or anything, the aesthetics didn't concern me TOO much although I do think they're really ugly. We didn't qualify for a grant as our house isn't pointing in the correct direction so it was a no-no for us.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

My parents have just had some installed, they opted for the scheme where a company fits them for free and takes the excess to sell back to the grid; probably sensible because it’ll take ten years or so to pay back the initial investment and my Dad is 75. Their neighbours paid for theirs as they are a few years younger. I am considering having some fitted and to be honest I will probably pay for mine so as to have get something back. Green possibly (you have got to think of the environmental impact of the manufacture and eventual disposal), pretty, definitely not but frugal, most probably in the long run.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

We enquired a few years back and were told we would never reap the money back. That was before grants etc. though
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting, has anyone an example of cost, with or without Grant?

I'm wondering how long it would take for the cost to be evened out.

Richard )t'
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

PV will develop into something completely practical and even aesthetically pleasing in the fullness of time.

The link is to a fairly new development, solar slate. I've seen this installed at RES's HQ and it looks virtually the same as real slate. Suspect you might need deep pockets if you wanted this on your roof, but it'll get cheaper.

http://www.solarslate-ltd.com/

Other products are on their way such as a near transparent film that turns a window into a solar panel, and even solar paint!

For those wanting to benefit from PV without a big outlay most utility companies offer rent-a-roof type schemes (you get free leccy when the sun shines but no subsidy will come to you). Feed-in tariffs have now been drastically reduced and there are clauses, either in place or on their way, concerning the insulation efficiency of the building they're attached to. You need to get pen and paper (& calculator) out & do very careful sums now to make sure a PV investment is worth making.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

cheers for the link Stiggy, very interesting, certainly something to consider.
Bah Humbug
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

As I live in a ground floor flat they're not much use to me but the company near our allotments sell and fit them, and the strong cardboard boxes are very useful! )grin2( )run(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mallard wrote:As I live in a ground floor flat they're not much use to me but the company near our allotments sell and fit them, and the strong cardboard boxes are very useful! )grin2( )run(

You should have a thread on “project strong cardboard boxes”.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

Keeps the soil warm in Winter Mallard !!!

Excuse my ignorance, what or who is PV please ?