My new Dentures Diary

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

My new Dentures Diary

Post by Richard »

I'm not embarrassed to say I have a full set of Dentures, I've written web pages on it, nor do I pretend I had some gum disorder or had an accident.
It's the result of Grandma and Mum'sTreacle and Gypsy Tarts back in the 50's and 60's, plus an extremely sweet tooth and smoking - so, only myself to blame.

Anyway, I didn't faff around three years ago, I went to the Dentist after spending a small fortune on extending the life of a few teeth by a matter of month's and said I don't care if you can save one or two, they keep hurting so take the remaining 12 out, which he did.

I had temporary Dentures put in and still have them!! Those who know, the gums shrink after a while and as the temp one's were moulded on the old gum size, I'm now keeping Fixadent in business!

I'll also say at this point that I did and will be doing these privately. The Service I got last time was amazing, went back about four times at no charge, you have a selection of size and colour - no waiting a few weeks for an appointment etc. etc.

So, this Wednesday I'm off to have a new set measured, they'll cost around £800 but I'm having them a bit cosmetic as in helping the jaw a bit.
The Dentist doesn't try and sell, he gives you options and you choose, if I feel another £100 to do something which will improve anything I'll spend it.

I like to see myself as a cost effective person, but I'm allowed a little vanity about my appearance, we're all entitled to that )t'

So, big spend!!

Anyways, as I said I have a few pages about it, but thought I'd diary it here just in case someone here or a visitor has searched something.

First installment Wednesday )t'

Website pages - Wearing Dentures the first time

Blog Page (fun) How to Identify Denture Wearers

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: My new Dentures Diary

Post by Annie »

And dont forget Richard, to keep the old set of dentures for crimping the edges of the pastry when you make a pie )grin2(
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

MMMMMM Gypsy tart (your recipe as I requested). you should post it on the food section.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

How wonderful to be getting your new teeth - I hope you get on with them well. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Enjoy your new teeth.
My Grandma has only three of her own teeth left, as a result of a cycling accident when she was 12. She's 92 now, and keeps asking the dentist to pull the remaining three, because she says they're more trouble than they're worth :-D
I think they'll be worth every penny Richard - things like this are the reason for scrimping in other areas (although, I'm guessing you needed to use an awful lot of dock-leaves and cut an awful lot of sponges in half to save up for these!!)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Great post LBF :-D :-D

I wasn't sure I could afford them, but an unexpected extra 4 days work and a tax rebate have just about covered it - I'm very blessed as I often say.

When I had them done originally I arranged to go to my daughters for a few days. She thought I'd be a miserable wreck and in agony, but the effect of not worrying about laughing and wide smiling seemed to obliterate any pain.

The worst bit was hearing the chinks as the teeth dropped into the little tin bowl yike* but the whole thing, having them out, having the dentures fitted took less than an hour.

The other way to look at it is it's costing me £800 for three years and five month's of dentistry, some with good teeth pay more than that!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Goo d post LBF and Dickie, it goes to show that you should look after your teeth rather than save a few bob scrimping and gambling with their well-being. The Kentish gypsy pie must have been good because my Mum has rotten teeth and she used to love it as a child growing up in Kent.
Bah Humbug
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Not many people know this Richard, ( so don't tell ) but I too have a full set of dentures. I got temporary ones, about 15 years ago. Still have them. I was measured for new ones once, which is a horrible experience, but I didn't like them and the dentist wouldn't listen to me, or couldn't understand, ( nhs dentist, all from the eu).
Good for you for treating yourself to a new set of nashers {hug}
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I am another one from 50`s childhood and a dad who used to bring us some sweets home every night an I don`t suppose the dummy with jam on it as a baby helped the old teeth. Both me and my brother have had poor teeth and both have some dentures. I used to get so many abscesses and amterrified of dentists but found a super duper lady dentist and she encouraged me to get my mouth sorted and have all the nasty ones taken out. Best thing I had done for ages.
And as much as I loved my mum and dad I was never encouraged to look after my teeth.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Fabulous posts and respect for saying you have them, so many people are shy to talk about it - I fully understand that though.

Interesting about replacements not being right for you Saz.

The one thing which worries me about new one's is if they whistle !!!! My temps are fine.

Richard
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

I think I am just so used to the ones I've got.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Richard

Post by Richard »

My first wife Helen is 58 and she's never been to the Dentist other than check ups, no work ever done !
My eldest daughter Louise never had a filling, whereas my youngest daughter Vicky has to go quite often, but that's a result of Steroids and things - hers look good though.

Leo, by my second wife hasn't had a filling, he's nearly 23.

Luck of the draw sometimes - or genes.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Because I had never been encouraged to look after teeth I was pretty strict with my children over care of teeth and regular visits to dentist. They have pretty good teeth and only one has had a filling. So in this case nagging the kids was worth it, and I hope they think so too.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

My mum always tells me then when the good old NHS came in after the war - there was a rush of people going to get shiny new dentures fitted who'd managed with just their gums for years and years!

And she also said people used to have perfectly healthy teeth removed and have a set of dentures fitted - why stick with your own when you can have a shiny new pair! Seen as a bit of a status symbol. I guess it's no more ridiculous than the pearly white teeth some people sport these days.

It's pretty rare now to see people, guess it used to be very common. I remember mum getting a pair years ago and I think the dentist had been on the pop and she looked like Mr Ed .. very amusing for us kids if not for mum!

Good luck with the new gnashers )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Along the lines of what Julie said, I think I read somewhere that a lot of very poor women (prior to NHS early part of 1900`s) had all there teeth out before marriage but didnt have the dentures. Can anybody tell me if this is true or have I got it wrong.