Inhalers

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Inhalers

Post by mrs boodles »

I am after a bit of advise and info if possible from laners. I have suddenly developed mouth ulcers and wonder if related to an inhaler I have to take x twice a day. I know one of the side effects of it is oral thrush but I have`nt got the white coated tongue etc associated with that. The inhaler I am using is Seretide and dosage was upped when I went to hospital baginning of march, I make sure I rinse my mouth out after I use it cause of the steroid content, could this inhaler be causeing the ulcers, I don`t normally suffer from them.
Any advice would be very welcome as they are getting on my nerves and mouth, tongue and sides of lips sore.
Mad Chick

Re: Inhalers

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi

Sorry to hear of your mouth ulcers - they are so painful {hug}

I've just done a quick googly search and found this...
http://www.4cnrs-asthma-allergy.com/advair-diskus.html
It lists mouth ulcers as one of the less common side effects.

From what I can understand steroid based products can cause mouth ulcers. You could try corsodyl mouthwash - this was recommended to my friend when she had bad ulcers due to chemo, it really helped )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I have never had any problems with any of my inhalers and have been on them for years and years and years and years etc.
manda

Post by manda »

I'd have a chat with your GP - one of the listed side effects is mouth ulcers...the increased dose could well have caused that so have a chat with them...they may be able to give you something...might be till your body adjusts to the increased dose but if not they may be able to do something else.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I don't use Seratide but do use 2 other asthma inhalers. I don't get mouth ulcers but do get an irritable throat, which the hospital said could be caused by inhalers.
What I find interesting is that the advise now given is to rinse the mouth after inhaling but this is quite a recent bit of advise, so presumably people are having problems.
Would it help you to use an aerochamber plus spacer device. The spray is not then going directly onto your mouth lining in a concentrated form.
I do hope it soon gets sorted as ulcers are so painfull.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thank you so much for advice, it is really appreciated. I had a look at the site Mad chick, and see it has mouth ulcers down as less common side effect. I have just bought some corsodyl and will give it a go.
Alberta June, I do have a aerochamber plus which I was given to use with my ventolin inhaler, so I will find out whether I can use it for seretide.
Manda, I think if no better by Tuesday I will get an appointment to see either surgery nurse or GP, and can check out about areochamber at same time. I have got a repeat shuttle walk test of Friday so I could also have a chat with the respiratory nurse (they are querying ambulatory oxygen as my levels drop down very quickly to about 75 on exercise.)
Thanks again, and it`s been a great help.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

You might like to try sucking some of the high dose (200 - 500mg) chewable Vit C tablets form the chemists. Allow them to dissolve over the ulcers. It will sting a bit but they will heal pretty quickly.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Like many of you, I've also used inhalers for many years.

A long time ago when I was prescribed the steroid Becotide, it really irritated the back of my throat.

I switched to Budesonide (Pulmicort) and it's a 'turbohaler' which doesn't give me the same sore throat.

I have a little routine now, inhaler first, then other medications I need to take - guess that helps rinse my throat too :-D

Hope your mouth ulcers get sorted out MrsBoods {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

One I used to take gave me mouth ulcers, it was a steroid one. I discussed it with my doctor and decided that as it wasn't actually helping in anyway I would stop taking it. No problems and the ulcers have gone away. I would point out that I stopped taking them after consultation with my Doctor and have continued to monitor via the peak flow blowy thing. I still have the other two inhalers, I use the green one twice a day and the blue one is for emergencies but I rarely, if ever use that unless there is high pollen or I am in contact with cat fur.
Bah Humbug
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Some good advice here, but another tip until you see your GP/ practice nurse is to wash the carrier of the inhaler out too. You can pull the aerosol part out and wash in hot soapy water, rinse and allow to dry. then when you put the aerosol part back in, expel one puff before using, also the spacer might help, but that also needs to be washed regularly.

Hope your mouth feels better soon xxx
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Interesting to read this post, because OH has been using inhalers since last December. He uses a steroid inhaler twice a day, and was instructed to rinse his mouth out after use. He also has a blue one to use if he needs it. I hope you get sorted soon, Mrs Boodles, mouth ulcers are so very miserable.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

saint-spoon wrote: high pollen or I am in contact with cat fur.

That sets me off too MrSpoon!
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

I have used my inhalers for years too, ventolin and seratide. Just lately I have had ulcers and sore spots on my tongue but had put in down to being on antibiotics. I find corosodyl works well.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Well I went to surgery this afternoon and spoke to nurse, am to use spacer with the seretide as well as ventolin, I have got to see doctor as last year I was put on vitamin B12 injections for 3 weeks and then was stopped and nurse is querying whether I should have stayed on them. I was taught you were on them for rest of life so it will be good to find out what has happened.
Thanks for all advice , its been a great help.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Sorry only just seen your post.

I have to take 3 inhalers depending on what time of the year and how bad my asthma is as I get it really bad during the summer with hay fever. I can never remember any of the names so will tell you what colour they are! My blue one I use all year round whenever I get asthma and use it directly in my mouth. Depending on how bad the asthma gets I then use a purple or a brown inhaler (morning and night) and I always use these with a spacer as they contain steroids and then rinse my mouth out afterwards. I've never had a problem with mouth ulcers doing it this way xx )t'
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx