My new Dentures Diary

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
julie62
Legendary Laner

Re: My new Dentures Diary

Post by julie62 »

I wouldn't be surprised if people used to have them removed to sell, much as poor people sell their hair today.

I know that dentures really started to develop in the 18th century (it was the arrival and ready availability of sugar that really did for our teeth!). Early dentures were made with real teeth and I've read that during the Napoleonic wars there was a grisly trade in dentures made from the teeth of dead soldiers. They used to advertise them as "Waterloo Teeth" cos they were made from the mouths of young healthy soldiers whose teeth would be in good condition. Horrible isn't it? :?
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Good for you Richard. Hope they are really comfortable.

I hold my hands up to partial top dentures, the result of abscesses in my late twenties, one a front middle tooth. Delightful, not to mention agonisingly painful. The relief when it came out.

Mr Spreckly's Mum and Dad had all their teeth removed in the 1940's. The Dentist came to the house, to take his Mum's teeth out. Mr Spreckly sat on the bottom of the staircase and cried his eyes out, he thought he was next!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Spreckly wrote:Mr Spreckly's Mum and Dad had all their teeth removed in the 1940's. The Dentist came to the house, to take his Mum's teeth out. Mr Spreckly sat on the bottom of the staircase and cried his eyes out, he thought he was next!

Oh, poor boy! How funny now though~ :-D
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I'm on my second set, both NHS, the first were rubbish, but the ones I have now are brilliant! Until I eat kiwi fruit! )grin2(
Fifties childhood again, treacle tarts and licking out the cake mixing bowl! )eat(
Not to mention my smoking years; I said not to mention them! {warn}
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Let some of the above posts be a word of warning about Sticky, stodgy but nice deserts !!

VISIT 1

I went to the Dentist earlier.

He took mouldings of my gums and we had a long chat about what I want.

Basically the whole thing will take six visits. He suggests that for the selection of shape and size I go to the Lab which is rather nicely located in Canterbury and quite close to the Cricket Ground.
He's going to try some silicone sides which may re-structure my cheeks a little.

Strange because he compared the photo's of my smile when the existing one's were first fitted and the smile now, they're completely different and oddly, the first thing he said was 'Have you had a Stroke' because the lips have dropped on one side.
As it happens I have had another TIA since then, but I thought the physical thing was only there for a day or two, seems not.

Anyway he's going to adjust that.

So, next week he tries the dummy set on me, then it's off to Canterbury for three visits at the Lab, then another two back in Ashford for final adjustments.

The six visits and fittings etc. will come to £800 inclusive. Should take around 4 / 5 weeks all in.

I told him my daughter has said not to have the Len Goodman look :-D :-D

I'm quite excited!!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Just promise you wont look like Garfield - (who's Len Goodman?) +confused+
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

yike*

{rofwl}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

"As it happens I have had another TIA since then, but I thought the physical thing was only there for a day or two, seems not."

)ot: I know, but whats that about Richard?

Albert Einstein
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Good for you Richard and happy new toothy-pegs :-D )c( )c(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Along the lines of what Julie said, I think I read somewhere that a lot of very poor women (prior to NHS early part of 1900`s) had all there teeth out before marriage but didnt have the dentures. Can anybody tell me if this is true or have I got it wrong.

Because the cost of dentistry was high and the pain of bad teeth dreadfull many women had their teeth removed as part of the dowry. ie. her family paid to have them removed so that their would be no further costs.
My aunt had hers removed in her twenties. she is now in her 80s.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I remember my Nan saying she had all her teeth out, but that was down to a nasty infection that they couldn't cure - Pyarea?

Think she'd be in her 80s now if she was still here.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Willow wrote:"As it happens I have had another TIA since then, but I thought the physical thing was only there for a day or two, seems not."

)ot: I know, but whats that about Richard?

The TIA bit is a "A transient ischaemic attack" Tina {hug}

Here you go... http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Transient-ischaemic-attack/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Bev x

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

I am so pleased you started this thread Richard! )t'
I have terrible teeth and gums and am in constant discomfort. The same as many already stated, due to many sweets, lack of oral hygiene when younger. I just hate my teeth, don't even like to smile without covering my mouth with a hand.
My dentist is private too, he's lovely and we discussed which options I have. Due to bad gums, unfortunately not many! I would love them all out and have Implants, but he estimated around £12.000 yike* .....definately not an option!
Dentures were another option, but I don't know why, the thought just terrifies me!
Can you eat properly with dentures?
Last edited by redd_angel55 on 18 Apr 2012, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Homemade wrote:Along the lines of what Julie said, I think I read somewhere that a lot of very poor women (prior to NHS early part of 1900`s) had all there teeth out before marriage but didnt have the dentures. Can anybody tell me if this is true or have I got it wrong.

Because the cost of dentistry was high and the pain of bad teeth dreadfull many women had their teeth removed as part of the dowry. ie. her family paid to have them removed so that their would be no further costs.
My aunt had hers removed in her twenties. she is now in her 80s.

This has jogged my memory about my late husband's aunt by marriage. In the 1920's or 30's, she had all her teeth out just before her wedding, and faced her bridegroom with gums.

Hope your new teeth are a huge success Richard. It is just the impressions which are tedious.