Drain Repair Question

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
jonnyb
Learner Laner

Drain Repair Question

Post by jonnyb »

While investigating a slow emptying drain - into which my w/m empties and the rainwater from my kitchen roof runs - I discovered that the ceramic/pottery drain casing is broken in the sidewall. A large piece of the sidewall is actually missing and wasn't in the bottom of the chamber when I emptied it and unblocked the outlet, so I must assume it's been like that for quite some time. Behind the breach, a cavity has been eroded which I can easily get my hand into, although I can still feel the walls of this so it doesn't extend too far. Here's a photo that may help with my description of the problem:

Anyway, to my question, can a satisfactory repair be effected and what would be a the best approach, or should I bite the bullet and go for the much bigger job to replace the whole thing?

Thanks,

Jonathan
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: Drain Repair Question

Post by HappyBob »

Hi Jonnyb, I think I would first try repairing the breach with some waterproof fast setting concrete. After the initial repair if you closely monitor it, before a more costly time consuming repair. You could consider some thing like the product in the link.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-rap ... 10kg/58196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
jonnyb
Learner Laner

Post by jonnyb »

Thanks, HappyBob. I think that's really good advice and I'll give it a go. I'm inclined to mostly fill up the cavity with broken brick, small stones and some aggregate, packing it fairly tight and leave the last couple of inches to seal the hole and face off with some of the rapid setting cement you suggested. Thanks again for the advice and pointing me in the direction of the product at SF which looks like it's just what I need. )t'
jonnyb
Learner Laner

Post by jonnyb »

Job done!

It's not very pretty but you do have to work fast with this rapid-setting cement! I had to mix it a bit stiffer than it advised otherwise it would have just fallen out. Even so, it 'bellied' a little so I shoved a strong carrier bag into the drain and filled it up with pea shingle to hold the face in place while the cement went off. I'll do like HappyBob suggested and just monitor it to make sure it holds, but I'm optimistic that it will and I can avoid a more costly and invasive repair for the timebeing. :-D
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Looks ok that jonnyb, hope it holds up for you.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap