W I R roof help !!!!!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
debby
Lively Laner

W I R roof help !!!!!

Post by debby »

hi,
i have a metal w i r , i have put some clear turp on the roof area but it keeps bowing with the rain, }hairout{ so i have had an idea to put some wodden planks/battonts on the roof part then put the turp back on in order to keep my ladies dry.

Question can i / how do i screw the wood into the metal ? its aluiminum do i need certain screws etc :oops:

thanks in advance xx
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,
oh and the 2 teenagers !!!!!!!

R I P flopsy, miss our cuddles xx
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: W I R roof help !!!!!

Post by silverback »

Yes, if its aluminium then you can drill it and use self tapping screws! )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

aww thanks silverback, must admit after i put this post on and i saw you were online i said to the teenager he will have an answer !!!! )b(
Dave the springer, 2 cats, Boo, Gizmo. 3 ex batts Mopsy, Thelma & louise. bluebell Matha,buff orp Gertie,rode island Kentucy, cream legbear Lola,

Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Once the tarp is on, put more battons on top of the ones underneath, it will stop the tarp lifting with the wind. Like this;

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

thanks steve i think urs was where i got the idea from :oops: as i have been looking for weeks for an answer, i seem to have the right thought but just need the advice from the people who no how !! thanks again you 2 i will take pics as soon as i can do it, hopefully this weekend xx

wish me luck

Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

The rain has hammered down here the last two days, roof has stood up well.
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

sorry :oops:
as the run is 6 ft wide and 16ft long will the battons be strong enough?? i will get 6ft then space out evenly ( i no i will need a lot ) also what thickness will i need??? !!!! as i don't wont to spend and do all this, and then have to do it again as it has cost me more than i have !!!! just want to keep the ladies happy and dry !! {hug}

Thanks again x

Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

I'd put the battons over the 6' span, it really needs to be 2"x1" timber at the very least, 2"x2" would be preferred of if funds allow, 3"x2".the battons that go on top of that can be as small as you can get it.

If you put 3"x2" timber in, you can put a proper roof panel directly on that at a later date.

Have a look on e bay for reclaimed timber, I've got some good bargains lately.
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

do u think i should use corrigated sheets or would the turp do ??? now thinkin in for a penny in for a pound !!!! ???? as dont no how long my back will last. with all this d i y dont want to keep getting up the ladder }hairout{ wouldnt mind im not that old !!! :oops:

Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

I built my run with the intention of eventually putting on a permanent roof as funds allow, the tarp is tempory, but me being me, I had to do a proper tempory job. {rofwl}

If you have the money's, do it right first time, save the old back!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I think Eck would agree with Steve there. He put a tarp on last autumn , which hasn't done a bad job but now thinks we should have just gone with the plastic corrugated roofing ( we have about 6' of it anyway) so I think he may be redoing it before Winter .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
debby
Lively Laner

Post by debby »

thanks soooo much steve u r a god send !!!!! will let u know how i get on,thanks for all time and advice xx >dum<

silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

If you are going to use batten, then go to your local timer merchant and ask for tile/slate batten, as this will be pretreated with preservative and should be around 30-45p per metre! )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.