Healthy meals without potato?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
LisaB

Healthy meals without potato?

Post by LisaB »

Hey guys {hug}
So I'm going on a no bread and potato diet for a few weeks, I never realised how much I eat them both so I'm going on strike to force myself into trying some new things.

I've been looking online and found some great recipes that I will be trying!

Just wondering if someone could recommend some also?
The only meat I eat is fish :)
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: Healthy meals without potato?

Post by ChrisG »

I eat a brown rice instead of potato a lot of the time. It is less likely to cause weight gain than white rice and doesnt deplete the body of B vitamins. It is also pretty filling, so you dont need a lot of it and it makes a welcome addition to stir fries and the like. I also use barley, which contains soluble fibre (like oats) which is excellent for the bowel and speeds up waste transit.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

That's broadly what I've been doing Lisa and it's worked for me - though I haven't cut them out completely :-D

Baked fish, with roast veggies
Courgette, squash, peppers, red onions, mushrooms at the last minute - whatever you've got in, with a bit of garlic/olive oil/herbs/S&P.
Bake the fish in foil parcels with a bit of lemon, S&P, or some cheese, or your seasoning of choice, yum yum yum.

Spicy fish/seafood stew
Fry off onions in oil and add some peppers, add some Thai curry paste and a tin of tomatoes. Put in some chunks of butternut squash and courgette and add your fish/seafood of choice. Let it all simmer along nicely till the veggies and fish are cooked yum yum yum.

I know you don't eat meat Lisa, but an alternative to the Thai is Spanish style with chorizo sausage and nice herbs yum yum.

Omlette
Good old omlette - you can make with anything, onions, peppers, chili, courgette, squash, cheese.

Salads
Greek - feta, cucumber, toms, red onions, olives if you like. I mix all together with some fresh basil, fresh mint a squeeze of lemon/lime juice (whichever I've got in), S&P and olive oil. Yum yum.

Green - shred and wash some crispy lettuce, add some S&P, lemon juice and a squidge of olive oil. I like it with some fresh chives and mint added too. You could have a nice boiled and sliced egg on the side too, or some tuna/mackerel/sardine.

Prawn/fish kebabs
Marinate your fish/prawns/seafood in lemon, S&P, garlic, then put onto wooden skewers. If you use fish choose one that's quite meaty and won't break up. Bake on a tray in the oven or BBQ. Have with roast veggies, or salad.

Are you going to have rice at all? If so I read that brown rice is better for you so we've switched to wholemeal pasta/rice :-D

I'm sure there's more we have Lisa, I'll add when I remember :-D I'm feeling all hungry now )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you very much :D

I'm gonna have salmon and roasted veggies tonight )eat(

I think curry would be really good - I love just a bowl of curry without rice or anything, but most have a tbsp of coconut milk in - is that really fattening or would a tbsp be okay? :oops: :oops:
I really love sag aloo (spinach and potato) so I'm going to try that with squash instead :-D

-I don't eat prawns, crab etc etc - just fish.
-I may have a little brown rice, but I wont be having much.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

As far as i am aware, coconut milk is not very fattening and certainly not in the quantity you mention.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ohhh, I thought coconut milk (or is it coconut cream?) was the thing that made curries really fattening?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

OOoh yum yum yum I absolutely love sag aloo and all the Indian vegetable dishes too :-D

I use coconut milk all the time and there is a reduced fat one too but don't think it's that unhealthy is it?

Just thinking the fish/Thai dish I mentioned, you can replace the toms with coconut milk if you fancy.

Here's some more things I make....

Baked mushrooms
Get some of those large mushrooms and 'stuff' with a mixture of cream cheese, garlic and herbs, S&P wrap in tin foil or greaseproof and bake in oven. You can have with salad yum yum

Asparagus
Steam and have with some shavings of parmesan cheese.

Cauliflower cheese
I steam a full cauli and whilst that's going I make my cheese sauce with a nice pinch of nutmeg. Then I bake in the oven. Yum yum - divide up portions, put in plastic boxes and freeze.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ahhh, I should be okay then )t'

Ohhhh baked mushrooms is something I've always wanted to try so I will get on that! Although - I'm trying to keep away from cheese, is there anything else I could use?

I also despise cauliflower :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Golly-gee you don't like Cauli Lisa?? yike* {rofwl}

It's one of my absolute favourites )c(

Instead of cheese, you could use quark - I think that's very low in fat, or else low fat cream cheese, or reduced fat creme fraiche )c+
Bev x

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Benny&Co wrote:Golly-gee you don't like Cauli Lisa?? yike* {rofwl}

It's one of my absolute favourites )c(

Instead of cheese, you could use quark - I think that's very low in fat, or else low fat cream cheese, or reduced fat creme fraiche )c+

Nooooooo! My mum loves it, I don't know how sile}
I've never heard of quark? :O
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hehehe your mum's got good taste Lisa, cauli rocks )eat(

Quark is sold in tubs in the fridge section, it's a low fat soft cheese, here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(cheese)
Bev x

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ohhh I may have to try some.
Does it taste like cheese (well, duh :-D ) or have that kind of bitter taste?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

It doesn't taste of much to me Lisa, but you can flavour it up - sweet or savoury.

I really must buy some again come to think of it )t'
Bev x

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I make white sauce with skimmed milk & cornflour, a tub of very low fat fromage frais & a tablespoon of parmesan, with a bit of either mustard or paprika. I find that works for me instead of a normal cheese sauce.
You can use sweet potatoes instead of normal potatoes.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh thats a good idea LBF, cheers )t'

Reminded me too - if you use a stronger tasting cheese, you only need a little bit of it )t' :-D
Bev x