Healthy meals without potato?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Healthy meals without potato?

Post by jemberelli »

Cook pasta in a bit of stock then take some stock & mix it with the garlic & herb extra light Philly - makes a lovely low-fat cheesey sauce. I tend to use it to coat the pasta & a load of broccoli, green beans, peas etc (plus bacon & chicken for those of us who eat meat). Makes a very quick, filling & tasty meal.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks guys!

Although, I'm not eating pasta :( Nor do I like philly {rofwl}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Lisa, I don't think that couscous has been mentioned. Someone recommended it to me when I was trying to feed my hunger pangs. Lots of different things can go into it, mushrooms, onions, peas, carrots, to name a few.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh yes, I have some packet couscous but I think it'd be great to try making my own sort of couscous, thank you :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh yes couscous, yum yum yum :-D

You don't like Phily?? yike* {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ewww no, philly sile} ickkkkkkk.
My sister has philly on toast yike*
Then again, I used to mix tomato sauce and salad cream up and spread that on my toast.

I tried making a spinach and sweet potato curry yesterday but it was awful so got chucked out :( I'm no good at this.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lisa, why was it awful?

I love spinach and sweet pots.

Keep trying, I'm sure you'll find things that you'll like the taste of.

I remember trying grinding all the spices from scratch for a curry ages ago and I don't know what I did but it didn't taste nice at all! Mind you, I do tend to improvise..... >dum<

I get nice curry pastes now and use them, much easier :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I think for me sweet potato and curry just doesn't go.
The spices, onion, garlic and chillis together smelt great, it was just when the sweet potato was added it made go all wrong :?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mmmm was it maybe a bit too sweet? I find that sometimes with sweet pots.

Why don't you try it with butternut squash instead? Bet that'd work lovely :-D
Bev x

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Yeahh that's what I'll try next :) I just used sweet potato as that's what the recipe used ahah!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ah righty-ho )t'

I must say whilst I do like sweet pots and squash, I think squash is my favourite as it's not as 'sweet' if you see what I mean? :-D

In New Zealand (myHubbly's from there) they have something called kumara and that is absolutely divine. It looks a bit like a sweet potato :-D
Bev x

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I've actually never had squash before, my mum likes it in curry but she usually makes meat curries so I've never tried it.

Oooo I've never heard of a kumara, does it taste like sweet potato?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hopefully you'll like squash when you try it Lisa. I even managed to grow some little ones last year, so they're pretty easy to get going I reckon.

Kumara is not as sweet as sweet potato, they have it everywhere you go in NZ :-D
Bev x

rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Another idea for sweet potato that we like is to make a baked Rosti with it. You grate the sweet potato, squeeeze out xs water in a tea towel, saute some onion and garlic and mix into the sweet potato with an egg, some feta or goats cheese and seasoning. Put piles in circles onto a lightly oiled baking tray and bake, oven 7, til golden and crisp. Then scatter some more of the cheese on and return to oven til just melting and golden. Very yummy and healthy (ish!)
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ooooo it sounds lovely but I'm trying to keep away from cheese :(

Had smoked river cobbler, bit of spicy stir fry and some roast peppers, asparagus, tomatoes, mushrooms and courgette for dinner. Was soooo nice.
I'm doing really well on this diet, and the best thing is is that I've not even had any chocolate cravings, my mum was eating chocolate earlier and I didn't even want anyway. It's making me feel really good as well :) Let's hope I can keep it up, I have a hospital appointment in 2 weeks so I wonder what they say I'll weigh! (then again, the appointments always get cancelled so I probably wont end up going for another month {rofwl} )