Healthy meals without potato?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: Healthy meals without potato?

Post by madmum »

Well done Lisa )t' Experimenting with food is something i love doing.Have you discovered Quinoa? It is from the spinach family and can be used instead of couscous ,which can be bloating.Google it,you will find loads of recipies!!!! )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hey MM )wav(
I've never heard of quinoa before, but I will definitely try it! Do they just stock it in the usual supermarkets? I've never seen it, but then again I've never looked for it {rofwl}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Yep Lisa!!!You should be able to find it with the rice etc..... It smells odd when you cook it but it does taste nice ....honest :?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hahaha, I trust you )grin2(
Does it just go with the usual things couscous does? Like a bit of spice, peppers, mushrooms, courgette?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I dropped by sasda's before and was looking for the Quinoa but couldn't find it.... don't think I was looking in the right places though.

Are wraps better for you than bread?

I've just had a wholemeal wrap with loads of shredded lettuce a bit of ham, chives and a squidge of low fat cream cheese and mayo )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ewww, no I don't like wraps :oops:
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

{rofwl} {rofwl} oh Lisa, you do make me giggle.

If you give me a list of what you like to eat I'll think of some dishes for you to make )c+
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I'm so fussy aren't I :oops:

Well, I like any quorn products,
most fruit and veg
Any fish

I HATE, nuts, cauliflower, wraps, beans, chips,

I don't eat meat (other than fish)

Trying to stay away from bread, potato, pasta, rice, cheese :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Not so much fussy, more you know what you want!! {rofwl}

I'll put on my thinking cap )c+
Bev x

manda

Post by manda »

Had a look and these sites particularly have recipe finders using specific ingredients....maybe they will help

http://www.supercook.com/
http://recipeland.com/recipes/by_ingredient
http://www.recipematcher.com/
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oooo thanks Manda, that's a great idea!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Quinoa is cheaper in the health food shop here, rather than the supermarket. (If you need to ask for it, it's pronounced keen-wah)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:Quinoa is cheaper in the health food shop here, rather than the supermarket. (If you need to ask for it, it's pronounced keen-wah)

I'm so glad you told me that because I would of just said it how it looks LOL.
We don't have any health food shops close by D:
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Have you tried your couscous yet Lisa? I eat it all the time, most days as the basis of my packed lunch. The general rule is 100g of couscous to 200ml of liquid. What I do, and this is extremely easy, is boil a kettle and make up vegetarian stock to the amount I want, poor it over the dried couscous, mix it up quickly, cover and leave for ten minutes. That is the hard bit. Now all you need to do is fluff it up with a fork and be inventive. A top tip for adding tons of flavour is to mix through some pesto (I like sun dried tomato or roasted pepper) but a squeeze of tommy sauce works (mix it with Mayo if you like). I have had cans of mackerel in tomato sauce mixed through before. I quite like spring onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and celery with feta cheese but it is very much up to your own imagination. If you don’t want to use sauce then a splash of extra virgin olive oil stirred through is delish. I also like to pop a couple of soft boiled or poached eggs on top and let the runny yolks mix in with the couscous.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh that sounds very yummy MrSpoony :-D
Bev x