the WRONG pallet?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: the WRONG pallet?

Post by AL37 »

mandaloon wrote:It was put together with nails that had ridges on them acting like "barbs"

Mandalon they are know as ring shanks. )t'

Bob one thing that is seldom taught in pallet training school is to denail your boards immediately.

I jumped from a shed roof once and found a piece of wood in the grass with my foot, it had a ring shank in it. {cry}

[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

aceface wrote:brilliant idea Al am gonna pass this onto my brother if thats okay )t'

Absolutely fine Aceface. )t'
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

yike* Ouch!
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Ouch!!!! yike* did it hurt??? sile}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Nah not realy.

+pinn+
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

AL37 wrote:
Bob one thing that is seldom taught in pallet training school is to denail your boards immediately.

Ahhhhh, I see you have learnt well my frugal freind... )app(

You now have now the scares to show how the pallat demands respect at all times.. :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

All decently straight nails can be used again, others saved in a big bucket for the scrapman!
We have a weekly bonfire fuelled by busted pallets, a big magnet fishes out the nails for the scrap bucket and the ashes used on the plots! Frugal or what? )grin2(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

So far ive found a lump hammer and a crow bar does the trick but it is hard going. Al told me about the fork trick yesterday so im going to give that a go xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

firstly I appologize for posting this in the wrong section, but I was prompted by the luvvvly benches and I am obviously still wracked with guilt at having to waste an entire pallet!!!!
Thanks to everyone for their responses. The garden Fork trick is definatly the way forward and a wet pallet. I've taken pallets apart before, with a crowbar but these " ring shanks" really stumped me.
I too have learnt to my cost to remove all nails and hardware from scrap wood as you get it, apart from my low pain threshold there is the extended recovery rate the older you get!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Some good tips here.

Also, I have found that taking things steady and pretty gently at first is the way to go. Just whacking them as hard as you can is not the way to go. I also bash each board from both ends to begin with, that is you are pushing the nails at 90 degrees to the way they are knocked in does loosen them a bit so that they are easier when you come to lift them.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

fabindia wrote:Some good tips here.

Also, I have found that taking things steady and pretty gently at first is the way to go. Just whacking them as hard as you can will just wreck them. I also bash each board from both ends to begin with, that is you are pushing the nails at 90 degrees to the way they are knocked in does loosen them a bit so that they are easier when you come to lift them.
Michael
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

The problem with dismantling pallets is, they where put together, using an industrial nail gun.
Not your common or garden hammer and clout nails. The best way to get a reasonably amount of timber, is to saw as close to the blocks as possible. Shortening the slats I know, but much easier than trying to prise out those staples.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Also, this is an afterthought, did you know that some pallets are worth money on re-sale, especially Euro Pallets. If they are in good condition, they can be worth £5-£10 a pallet.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.