Making a strong chook run?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Making a strong chook run?

Post by tortzblue »

Hi, I need to build a really strong fox proof walk in run for my chooks.
I'm thinking either Heras fence panels and gate or (more costly) a large metal dog run.
I will want to cover all over with mesh but don't know what's best. I would need lots because I have to cover the top too as foxes are a huge problem here. The size would be about 11'x11'x6' (heras size)
I've looked on mesh direct but there are so many different sorts.
Any recommendations please? I really am at a loss and of course would like a good deal too! Anybody know? +confused+
Thanks
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Making a strong chook run?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I'd go for 1.6mm weldmesh at least 1" x 1" squares. Very strong and a fox would need to have a blow torch to get through it.
Cheapest we found was here
http://www.hillsofdevon.co.uk/aviary-mesh.html
and they delivered quickly too.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Thanks Dom - Looks like just what I need and good price too )t'
Fox with blow torch? yike*
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

I've just built a run with a roof , basically wooden frame panels bolted together and covered in mesh I put a corugated roof on it to keep the rain off,well most of it. I would go with the mesh size suggested by Dom. I bought the thin stuff and have had to double up hoping that my local foxes have got blunt teeth!!! make sure the wire is firmly attached and dont forget the blighters can dig )gr:
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

mandaloon wrote:I've just built a run with a roof , basically wooden frame panels bolted together and covered in mesh I put a corugated roof on it to keep the rain off,well most of it. I would go with the mesh size suggested by Dom. I bought the thin stuff and have had to double up hoping that my local foxes have got blunt teeth!!! make sure the wire is firmly attached and dont forget the blighters can dig )gr:

MMM good idea - it would help prevent the quagmire we have at the moment )t'
OH wonders, will the corrugated roof stay on in a big wind though or act like a sail? yike*
As to foxes teeth, someone said they are sharper than wire cutters! {mr.angry}
I gonna put a wire skirt around with paving slabs too. Hope this prevents digging.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

We have a corrugated roof and it works great, the wind was terrible around Christmas, it even moved the chicken coop (which is 6x4 shed, which has a really heavy unit of draws in full of pellets/bedding/etcetc in, and plus all 9 chickens and the wind managed to carry them all across the garden yike* ) but the roof stayed fully intact! :-D
It's best to make a frame up on the floor first for the roof and get all the corrugated plastic on to make it really sturdy, and then put it on the run (that's what we found best anyway) :-D
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

that is what I did. I used the Corolina sheets which are made of tar soaked fabric. they are light but dont skimp on the nails. last wednesday was its windiest test so far and it has been fine. The door to the run is sticking with all the rain so that will need some tweaking, I just have to put the doors on the coop and were ready.... I think? :?
jonnyb
Learner Laner

Post by jonnyb »

I concur with Dom's advice about the gauge of the mesh; the 1.6mm wire is pretty substantial stuff and I believe would be sufficient to deter a fox. It certainly aggravated my tennis elbow with the amount of effort to cut it to size, even using a decent pair of side-cutters! For meshing my own coop and run I went with 1/2" x 1" mesh size as I got a bit paranoid about the idea that my girls would stick their heads through. I bought from the site that Dom suggested; delivery very quick and the quality of the mesh is excellent.