High blood pressure

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

High blood pressure

Post by fabindia »

I am generally as fit as a fiddle, carry no weight and am very careful in what I eat, but My blood pressure is too high. I have talked it over with my doctor and we came to the conclusion not to put me on tablets for it but to keep an eye on it for now.

There's lots about it on the web but I can't seem to find anything that works for me. I thinks it's just in my genes.

Anything that has worked for you?
Michael
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: High blood pressure

Post by ChrisG »

Drinking lots of water (6 glasses a day, minimum - and I mean water, not tea, or cola etc), avoiding eating refined foods (so brown rice, wholemeal bread, no sugar), lots of walking/hiking/aerobic exercise.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Mine went skywards and the quack said to cut down on the coffee. However, since I don't drink the stuff she said it was the caffiene content she was worried about, som ouyt went energy drinks ans colas.

Result was the boodpressure plumeted over the next 4 weeks.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

"Anything that has worked for you?"
Tablets from the Dr.!! Only very low dose but would rather know my BP is normal than even slightly above. I have my own BP monitor as I suffer from "white coat syndrome" and it is very difficult to get a true reading if I go to the Dr. or the Nurse.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have had high blood pressure since I was 35.
My mother had it and so do all my siblings and one o f my sons. So I think you can say
it is genetic in our family. Tried all sorts way back then but had to go on a tablet.
I am on a diretic and it keeps it down fine.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

High Blood pressure.....Me too, for about 20 yrs, on the tabs. Surely we cant all be eating or drinking the wrong things :? My Grandmother had it, my Oh has it and so does his mum and also our eldest son so hereditary must have something to do with it. It is so common.
LYN
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Same here high blood pressure for about 4yrs, only found out as I took my BP at work and it was in 200`s so off to GP and put on tablets, it still fluctuates a bit but goes nowhere near what it was. My mum had it and my son has it so again something that runs i family.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Hi
I have high BP too. The day it was diagnosed I really felt ill and felt something bad was about to happen . I went to 'walk and wait' surgery and my BP was 206/120 !! Or to put it another way, immediate risk of stroke or heart attack. Doc signed me off work and I started meds.
I cut out caffeine completely, stopped buying processed and ready meals/sauces etc (the salt content is horrific), stopped adding any salt when cooking. Had to reduce my swimming to a gentle 20-25 lengths 4 times a week rather than swimming quickly. I also bought my own monitor.
I don't eat any food that lacks nutritional value. Brown bread, rice and pasta. Low fat/no fat everything. Lots of oily fish, even more veg and fruit. That brought it down to the top end of acceptable. One benecol yog drink a day.
In the last year I have given up red meat completely and occasionally have locally sourced chicken or turkey. The whole family eat Quorn now (unbeknown to them).
Next Thursday I have my annual MOT; fasting blood test, cholesterol, bp check at the docs and I will know what difference it's all made.
My BP this morning was 116/79 :-D . I occasionally get peaks but generally it's a lot better.
Long term hypertension will cause problems so it's important to bring it down.Have you had your cholesterol checked?
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
serama1
Lively Laner

Post by serama1 »

Me too - mum/dad both have BP, so I think it is in the genes. Initially doctor gave me 6months to change my lifestyle - mainly exercise and eat healthy (fruit & veg) - but with work etc couldn't do much, eventually gave in and started on tabs, had to go through a different tabs and combinations/doses until found ones that suited me. Have been on these for 2 years now and BP is under control ... but would prefer to be off it if I can - had my follow-up review with doc today - no such luck, for now will need to carry on with the tabs.

i have been told of herbal treatments, but I'm very sceptical about that ...
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

serama1 wrote:BP is under control ... but would prefer to be off it if I can - had my follow-up review with doc today - no such luck, for now will need to carry on with the tabs.

i have been told of herbal treatments, but I'm very sceptical about that ...

My doctor told me I would be on lisinopril for the rest of my life although it's a fairly low dosage at 5mg. Better than heart disease though....
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
serama1
Lively Laner

Post by serama1 »

I agree sarabee. It is just that I wish I was not reliant on tabs - all have side effects unfortunately.