Paul McKenna....I can make you thin

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
manda

Re: Paul McKenna....I can make you thin

Post by manda »

I agree with you to a degree Deb...BUT...(you knew there would be one when I said degree didn't you )grin2( ) I lost a lot of weight 10 years ago and felt fantastic...it wasn't about how I looked it was about how I felt (although I can't deny there is a link between the two and it either does it for you or it doesn't)...yes I had lumps and bumps that I wish could just be airbrushed (Oh that it were that simple eh!) but I felt great..physically and mentally...I wasn't a runner but I started because I had so much energy!! (and the dog benefited from it too because he was running with me).

I'm don't want to lose weight for anyone else (my husband said something similar to yours ...I know he loves me bumps and all)... I decided to lose weight because my back was aching as were my joints ...getting going in the morning started off with aches and crunches (and not of the stomach kind!!) ..already I'm feeling the benefits...I'm still me but I'm a healthier me.

The difference this time is I'm concentrating more on the psyche than I have done before (I'm embarassed to admit that given that I work in mental health... but I am only human!!).
I am not wanting to be stick thin but I am also very aware that as I am getting older thinks are clunking and creaking that didn't before and that being overweight is really not helping...
I am being considerate of my BMI ...which is too high at the moment but has come down considerably already...so I'm working with that and just trying to get in a healthy range.

When I was younger I would admit weight was about vanity ...now I'm getting older the focus has shifted to health.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

manda wrote:I agree with you to a degree Deb...BUT...(you knew there would be one when I said degree didn't you )grin2( ) I lost a lot of weight 10 years ago and felt fantastic...it wasn't about how I looked it was about how I felt (although I can't deny there is a link between the two and it either does it for you or it doesn't)...yes I had lumps and bumps that I wish could just be airbrushed (Oh that it were that simple eh!) but I felt great..physically and mentally...I wasn't a runner but I started because I had so much energy!! (and the dog benefited from it too because he was running with me).

I'm don't want to lose weight for anyone else (my husband said something similar to yours ...I know he loves me bumps and all)... I decided to lose weight because my back was aching as were my joints ...getting going in the morning started off with aches and crunches (and not of the stomach kind!!) ..already I'm feeling the benefits...I'm still me but I'm a healthier me.

The difference this time is I'm concentrating more on the psyche than I have done before (I'm embarassed to admit that given that I work in mental health... but I am only human!!).
I am not wanting to be stick thin but I am also very aware that as I am getting older thinks are clunking and creaking that didn't before and that being overweight is really not helping...
I am being considerate of my BMI ...which is too high at the moment but has come down considerably already...so I'm working with that and just trying to get in a healthy range.

When I was younger I would admit weight was about vanity ...now I'm getting older the focus has shifted to health.

Thats really good you want to do it, and your feeling positive about it. I really do think a lot of it is to do with the mind, if you can get past that -your good to go xx GOOD LUCK maybe ill go back to weight watchers :?
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
manda

Post by manda »

Done that..and just about every other diet on the planet...We're all so individual we have to find what's right for us don't we...I didn't get on with WW but I found the Slimming World plans easy....

What I liked about the Paul McKenna book (and believe me when I say I still remain sceptical) is that he is adamant that "diets" don't work ...it's all about faulty learning in regard to food and listening to the needs of your body....which certainly for me makes sense...and if it's true then no food is off limits (if that's true then I like it A LOT !!! {rofwl} )

Of the 4 things he says to do..he actually says in the end if you do nothing else...enjoy your food savour it ...slow down...
That is the main thing for me I think because it not only gets you to enjoy it but give you the chance to get the message from your body that it's full...not shovel it down quick smart then feel bloated half and hour later (and I am so guilty of that on a regular basis...always in too much of a rush!!)....and it's a challenge but because of it I've already noticed a difference in the amount I'm eating ...so now I'm putting less on my plate and then if I still feel hungry I can go back. I suppose if nothing else it's making me think differently.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

I am pretty pleased with this weeks weigh in results even though it's only 1/2lb off. I am still struggling to slow down (old hoover habits die hard). I'll try harder this coming week!
But...saying that, the amount of food I had over the past week, that I previously really didn't consider to be slimming aiding, I am pleased (and surprised) to have lost full stop!
I had:
* Alcohol (don't normally have any)
* Pizza
* Brushetta
* Spaghetti with Pesto (oil and parmesan)
* Pasties
* Tiramisu
* Chips, Sausages, sauces
* Omlette with full fat cheese
* White bread sandwich with butter and jam
* 4 Kitkat's over the week
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Well done, Redd! :D

As already been said different diets work for different people, for me I didn't like the idea of "eating what you want but still lose weight" thing, granted I haven't read the book, but maybe it's because I don't /want/ to eat chocolate, it's my cravings that want it )grin2(

My diet's been going fantastic, living on fish, fruit, veg, salad and no bread, potato, pasta, cheese, chocolate/cakes/sweets/etc. Even though I still can't sleep well and still feel tired I do feel so much better in myself, and I know it's not been long but I really feel like I've achieved something. I also wanted to lose weight for my joints, I'm only 18 and they're already achy and creaky {rofwl} so I think I should probably do something about it now and not later.

But I think everyone should do what makes them happy, although I think everyone would feel a lot better in themselves if they maintained a healthy lifestyle, maybe it just isn't for everyone. We only live once, right? :-D
manda

Post by manda »

Absolutely Lisa..you have to do what makes you feel comfortable...there was a section I found interesting in the book...
They let a bunch of toddlers have access to whatever food they wanted 24/7 for a 30 day period to see what they did (it was apparently like things from ice cream to spinach so the whole range).

At the end of the 30 days they assessed the diet the children had eaten....it was what is considered to be a balanced diet {rofwl} ...so I wonder if eventually if you can just have what you want, that no food is considered taboo then you eventually gravitate to the healthy as much as the junk?

Redd as I said in the other thread ...well done ...I think {rofwl} ...wouldn't it be great if it does work?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Oh yes Manda, it would be pure heaven if it really works! Must say I felt quite liberated being able to eat all those foods!
It'll probably take a good few weeks to get a clearer picture as to the effectiveness, but I am looking forward to it! >fi<
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x

manda

Post by manda »

I've written this in the weight loss thread as well again but thought it might be useful to copy and paste it in here as well (so if anyone looks in here alone they will see out comments re this whatever it is in one place)....if that's still OK with you Redd :-D

I have lost 700g…

Now that may not seem like a huge amount (1.5lbs) ……BUT…….and it’s a big but (no puns intended there LOL!!) I have really pushed the boat out so to speak with regard to testing this theory…I wanted to get it out of my system that I can truly eat what I want, when I’m hungry, consciously and stop when I’m full…..and I have!!!

Nothing but nothing has been off the list…sausage rolls, Hot cross buns, ice cream, chips…the list goes on!!! I have stuck to the four rules but I have not eaten particularly healthily this week…I know it seems a little bit daft but I just wanted to see if you could really eat anything and still lose weight…well this week it seems to have supported that theory. Now I know if someone was going to get all scientific on my this “trial” wouldn’t stand up to empirical testing but I’m an overweight woman in my 40′s so I could care less about that…what I do care about is that psychologically Mr McKenna has enabled me to see that food doesn’t have to be my arch nemesis…if that could be an ongoing thing in my life then he has achieved what I have been trying to for ages and for that I will be truly grateful.

If not then I gotta say that CD again even if it doesn’t get me to lose weight has given me some of the best sleeps I have had in a long time!!!

How are you going with it Redd...I know you weren't going to weigh but how are you going with the "thinking" bit?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Of course I don't mind Manda. I am grateful for your input!
Errr...as for the not weighing....lost 1lb.
Was far too curious how I did, so couldn't stay away from the scales.
Like you, I ate everything I wanted and tried my best to stick to the 4 golden rules, but I still eat too fast and probably too much. But hey, I lost 1lb, so I am happy!
If I lose slowly, but am still able to eat what I want, then so be it!
I'll read the book again as I read it so fast when I first got it, that some bits probably didn't quite sink in.
I never thought it would be so difficult to leave some food on your plate! The dog is happy though as she gets the leftovers before I get tempted to polish them off LOL

This coming week, after reading the book again, I'll pay more attention to eating slowly, consciously and stopping when I am full!

To be continued......

Littlemisskatie
Lively Laner

Post by Littlemisskatie »

Hello, I havnt signed in for a while but Red had let me know about this thread so i thought i would come and have a look seeing as i had recommended the Paul Mckenna book on the forum. I am so so so pleased that some of you have decided to buy the book and give it a go, and even more pleased that Manda and Red are seeing results already. Well done to both of you, your life will be so much better now if it pans out the same as it had for me, you should be feeling so free of any food obsessions.It has made my day to know that your both benefiting from the book too. Im still losing between 1-4 ibs a week and havnt ever gained weight since reading the book, so im just so much happier. Keep reading the book over and over in the first few months as it is so easy for the bad habits to return. I left mine in the loo and would just read a couple of pages on every visit! I have read what some of you have written regarding the CD sending you to sleep...Lol! I didnt actualy ever listen to the cd, or watch the dvd, and i didnt do any of the mirrir or mind programming techiniques either........i just followed the 4 golden rules and read thoroughly his points with regard to the diet industry and how denying yourself of anything will create bad food habits. )t'
I havnt weight myself now for 3 weeks as ive been so busy and pre occupied, but will do it next week and keep you updated on my progress, will also keep my eye out for your progress too girls, keep upm the good work, really really really really H )t' appy for you both XXXXXX
We dont stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing !!!
manda

Post by manda »

redd_angel55 wrote:Errr...as for the not weighing....lost 1lb.Was far too curious how I did, so couldn't stay away from the scales
{rofwl} ..good on ya...I actually don't have a problem with the weighing thing I don't think it hurts and especially in the beginning if it gives you a psychological boost then all the better...that's the equivalent of a pack of butter gone!!! (I think of my weight loss in terms of packs of butter...every now and again I have a count up in the supermarket so I get a visual :shock: )

I never thought it would be so difficult to leave some food on your plate! The dog is happy though as she gets the leftovers before I get tempted to polish them off LOL

I don't leave food on my plate (I'm sorry Paul but I cannot and will not waste food).. but I have got good at putting half of what I used to eat on and then if I'm still hungry I can have a bit more...or a pudding..I've also had to excuse myself from the table a few times just to stop myself from picking....bad habits...once you start really thinking about them they're so easy to spot!! )grin2(

The eating slowly thing I AM SURE is the key to it all...because 9 times out of 10 I'm not going for more food at the time because I do feel full....my husband said the other day he tried to apply the eating slowly thing when he was having his sarnies ..and ate one less!!
It gives your brain time to register you are full....end of...logical really :?

Little miss katie...I hope that it will change my life in the same way...I've gotta admit I feel different already...so THANK YOU for pointing it out ...I know it's early days but I feel hopeful...
I feel at the moment that I'm kind of playing with it because of the whole there is no taboo food thing but once I've got that out of my system I don't think I will feel the need to test the whole thing quite so much (fun doing it though {rofwl} ).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Please excuse me for posting here, just wanted to say that it's so true about eating slowly and feeling full sooner. I was having a meal with friends at the weekend. He insists on shovelling his food down as quick as he can because he likes to eat it while it's still hot. He has had a go at me in the past for eating slowly. I was full before I finished, so I put the remainer in a plastic box and took it home to eat the next day. He is three stone overweight and jokes about his big belly, saying it's all paid for. Not good, but it's his belly.
Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

I must admit I like my food really hot Ilona (so I can understand to a degree what your friend feels) but I can always shove it in the microwave if I want to heat it up...so there is no excuse for me not slowing down.....

As an adult I can see it makes complete sense biologically to slow down so my brain can get the message ...but when the grandma was telling me to chew my food at least 20 times it just seemed like it was boring :? and at work I always seemed to be eating on the run ...that has had to change now.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

I have one single big issue with this system.....CHOCOLATE!
I probably would have lost more last week, but looking back, I had far too much chocolate over the weekend.
How would you deal with it? Avoid it? Limit it (or please say, eat it til you are full LOL {rofwl} .....I wish!!!)
Seriously, I can eat chocolate til the cows come home! How do you deal with your cravings, whatever they might be? So far, the craving eliminating technique hasn't worked! :shock:

manda

Post by manda »

Mmm now I wonder would you keep eating it if you could just do that all the time? Would you get it out of your system if you just followed the 4 rules?
I don't know because I don't really get cravings :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda