How to stop chicken pecking people?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
dawnydeedee
Lively Laner

How to stop chicken pecking people?

Post by dawnydeedee »

Hi everyone,
One of my younger chickens ( 1 of 4 approx 22 weeks, 5 others 1 yr) is always pecking us. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this?

She runs at you and attacks you on the legs, despite what you are wearing and can be quite viscious. These are always unprovoked attacks and it is getting to the point where no one wants to go in the pen with them or go to let them out/put them away! She doesn't seem to peck the other chickens, just people. To be honest, it is really spoiling my enjoyment of them, I have never been that good with birds and having the girls has helped but not now!

I have a long stick that I herd them into the pen with when they won't go in and have given her a nudge with it when she is attacking but don't really know what else to do?
One of the other younger ones was badly attacked by the big ones a couple of weeks ago and is still separated, she did peck a lot before but seems to have got worse.

Any advice anyone on how to deal with this 'psycho' chicken please? Don't really want to get rid of her, don't think anyone would want her anyway!

Dawn

Steve the Gas

Re: How to stop chicken pecking people?

Post by Steve the Gas »

Add her to a pie )eat( )j;

Try to pick her up and show her who is boss. If you can't do this, find somebody who can.
Where are you based?
Are you sure she is a she??
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Post by Sheila D »

I'm just getting over the same problem. Getting them in when you want them in the coop - use dried meal worms in a nice rattly plastic box, then throw a small handful into the run and shut the door behind them. Purple spray an injuries. Separate out the bully and keep her in the kitchen or somewhere safe in something like a large dog crate, but not draughty overnight for a few nights so she loses her place in the pecking order, giving the gentler ones a chance to establish themselves. I've found that you can use a smooth piece of wood as a perch and jam it between the bars of the dog crate, put newspaper underneath so you can clean out easily and remember her water and food bowls - I use heavy ceramic dog bowls that don't get turned over easily. Keep this up for a few days and then try reintroducing the bully. Spend some time in with the chickens during the day, handfeeding them and talking to them so they don't see you as an intruder. If all else fails, carry a tennis racket to protect your legs!
dawnydeedee
Lively Laner

Post by dawnydeedee »

We are in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. I am assuming she is a she as we have had 4 smaller eggs (small ones are bantam crosses) with slightly different colouring so assume they have all laid, although not had 4 on same day yet as they have only started laying just over a week ago.
Might try putting her in separate run when reintroduce poorly one.
chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

flap your arms so you resemble a cockerel may help if she's sexually mature. another way to show who's boss is to lift her with your foot and launch her across the garden - carefully! I'm not suggesting kicking her, you could pick her up with your hands but you're likley to get pecked. it just needs to be enough to show that you control her not the other way around.

If she continues and it's a problem for you then you'll need send her somewhere else.
manda

Post by manda »

I know what you mean CHM.....
I just have visions of what neighbours think of all this stuff going on in the next door garden...can you imagine the wagging tongues ....
"and there she was running around the garden flapping her arms and then she launched this chook across the garden" yike* {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
dawnydeedee
Lively Laner

Post by dawnydeedee »

I know what you mean CHM, in fact my hubby has done this but didn't know how to phrase it so that you didn't think he had been booting her around! To be fair, she is wary of him now, will have to try it myself, just been worried about hurting her!
The neighbours can't see into the garden anyway Manda as it opens onto fields, they know we are a bit potty anyway!

Thanks
Dawn
manda

Post by manda »

The other option which involves no contact is a water pistol. Carry one with you and if she goes for you then give her a squirt...there's no chance of injury that way.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

manda wrote:The other option which involves no contact is a water pistol. Carry one with you and if she goes for you then give her a squirt...there's no chance of injury that way.

Make sure she doesn't have access to a raincoat and brolly, these hens can be cunning :-D
joanne3393
Lively Laner

Post by joanne3393 »

Oh thank you so much for this thread, having a boring day at work and just read this, with visions of chickens in raincoats, ladies running round flapping their arms, squacking and welly wanging chickens round the garden, have just howled and howled and howled, my co workers think I have gone mad, thank you for cheering up my day {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Family includes Tilly & Tiny the sheep, Chester the horse, and Lewis the Hare, Oh and how could I forget to put the 8 velociraptors, now added Soks the lurcher
ChickenSquirter
Learner Laner

Post by ChickenSquirter »

*****************WORKS EVERY TIME!!!***********************

Just get a spray water bottle or water pistol and each time the chicken looks like it is going to attack (runs towards you aggressively!) squirt her!!! The chicken backs up like a Tonka truck....booyah!

Trust me, tired and tested...VICTORY IS OURS!
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Water pistol worked for me too :-D I very soon used to just show her the bottle and she's back off - that was for Evil Edna - now very well behaved Edna ... they really hurt when they get you and she used to aim for any uncovered flesh in Summer.
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(