halogen hights

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mrs B

halogen hights

Post by Mrs B »

We have halogen recessed spots in kitchen, utility, hall and a bathroom ... not what I would have chosen but they came with the house.

Quite a few lights are not working now, I have changed bulbs which has not worked (I retested bulbs afterwards so know they are OK). Our Sparky did fix one when he was doing some other jobs but that one has gone wrong too.

Any idea what the likely problem is? I will send Mr Beer into the loft to check all connections and give things a wiggle and clean. Each unit has a transformer type thing, is it possible that the transformers have all blown.

In the kitchen there are 2 broken, in the hallway 1, in the bathroom 1 (or 2 can't remember).

I don't really want to call Sparky in just to fix a few lights as he will coming round to sort out shower room bits in the winter anyway so he can fix them then.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: halogen hights

Post by silverback »

I would guess that if the bulbs are ok, then it's either the connections or possibly the transformer.
Might pay you to get the sparks to price up replacements with LED, cheaper in the long term! )t' ..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Silverback. )t'
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

It could also be the bulb connectors, the heat kills them, are they 12 or 230v?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Steve valentine wrote:It could also be the bulb connectors, the heat kills them, are they 12 or 230v?

That would be a question that himself can answer when he goes rummaging in the loft, there are crawly things up there so I can't be trusted as I will jump up in fright, scream and put my foot through the floor/ceiling.

It is kind of two spiked bits at the back of the bulb, the spikes fit onto a bit of plastic that just dangles from some thin cable bit like speaker cable maybe even thinner) . I know there are transformer box things but have never looked at them closely.

You really wish you hadn't asked now don't you Steve? :oops:

Why do I think changing a few bulbs is going to end up replacing everything and costing £300
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Sounds like they are 12v!, on the 240v bulbs the spikey bits are thick, and looks just like two nails T T edge on!.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Yup must be the 12 v then as these are spikes.

That doesn't sound very big, I think my dolls house is 12v.

Shall I just shut up and be silent now and leave it to my lovely Sparky? Can you see why my buildery blokes despair of me? The nice young man that did our patio walling and a complete refit of the little bungalow has now given up building altogether :oops: >coc<
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

The lamps sound like MR11,s. If your hubby has a volt meter, you could test if there is a voltage present at the fitting if no voltage present then check out going on transformer. If there is power, then cable/connections between transformer out to lamp fitting may be suspect (unusual). If there is no power at the transformer out then check transformer mains in (dont forget to change range on meter if analogue). If this reads 240V then transformer is dead (which is the most probable cause of failure), If no voltage at transformer in then its a mains supply problem, prob a fuse(common) or cable damage (unlikely).
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Bob, pretty sure we don't have a voltage meter so will ask the neighbours.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Put a bulb in the connector and give it a wiggle, it may come on momentarily indictating a faulty bulb holder.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Steve valentine wrote:Put a bulb in the connector and give it a wiggle, it may come on momentarily indictating a faulty bulb holder.

Nope nothing at all, thanks anyway Steve. I am going to give up now until Sparky comes, I think will rip out the kitchen wall units instead. I did fit new under unit lights to them a couple of years ago, well I changed the old style fittings for new ones so some things I can do.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Points to a dead transformer me thinks!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

beep beep beep, with so many to fix that is going to cost pennies, maybe I should not rip the kitchen wall units off just yet then.