Been busy with the crochet hook

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: Been busy with the crochet hook

Post by aishakali »

Just been reading all these posts and I've gone from feeling very low to crying with laughter :-D Thank you soo much for the pics of the hamster hat etc and Helen I'm sure you will master it in the end {hug} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
LYN
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ahhh, glad this has cheered you up! {hug}

I have some news.......watch this space!!!! I am getting on a little better - have used a slightly larger hook and not pulled it so tight. The only thing is that the granny square is quite big...mine will end up over 6 sq inches, and I can see it going a bit flappy at the edges lke my blanket :?

I seem to be having trouble with really basic crochet techniques. It is finding where to stitch into that is my main problem. But this is looking reasonably ok, not perfect (or finished yet!) but....
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ok - are you ready for this???

Here is my latest granny square - a great improvement as at least it is flat in the middle bit! It is very flappy at the edges though, and ended up about 7 inches sq. :?

On the other hand.....look what I have made!

I know I haven't really got this thing quite right (the last heart I made I undid 7 times before I mastered it!) but was talking to a neighbour a couple of days back and there is a crochet class held every sat in a wool shop about 15 or so miles away. £2.59 and just turn up - sounds just what I need!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Looking good Helen, you could make bunting with those hearts and flowers.
)t'

I need a class as i'm really struggling and i want to make a blanket for my friends baby, but i can't even do squares at the mo........
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Helen

)b(

Brilliant, well done you
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you Perchy! {hug}

Bolly, oddly I was thinking about bunting with the hearts - and cards and glueing them to painted wooden blocks to make pictures. Also both hearts and roses as brooches, plus the hearts as earrings and necklaces. )t'

I am really quite rubbish to be honest. I was absolutely stunned when I made a heart shaped heart!!!
Helen xx

julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

They're brilliant - and that crochet class sounds a great idea - it's so difficult to translate stuff into written patterns .. much easier when someone shows you how. The square will be flappy round the edges cos you've got too many stitches and you'll get better at "seeing" what you're doing in time. Looks like you've made a big leap forward )app( )app(

They reminded me of this : http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2011/ ... twigs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Love the hearts and it makes me laugh the way you describe the edges on squares as flappy bits. You look as though you are coming on leaps and bounds, are you enjoying the crocheting.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

mrs boodles wrote: are you enjoying the crocheting.

I have to say that it has been the cause of much laughter in this house!! {rofwl}

I really would like to be a bit better at it though, as I rather like doing it - more than I do knitting I think! I find it very rewarding when it goes ok, but if I am honest, very frustrating that I can't get it quite right and I am somewhat amazed that I have continued in the face of so much disaster! }hairout{

julie62 wrote: you'll get better at "seeing" what you're doing in time.

That is my real problem. It says - 'you can now count 9 stitches' - really? I can't seem to even see them. }hairout{ I think I just add a stitch wherever, and as you say, end up with far to many. Aaaaragh!!

I am reasonably pleased with the hearts and roses though, which were both from Attic 24. There are also leaves for the roses, but for the life of me can't do them, even though they are simple. {cry}
Helen xx

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hey they are very good Helen. )t' {hug}
The square has too many stitches around the sides. That is what is making it loose.
Good Idea to go to the lessons, you will make some nice friends as well. As you are all in the same boat.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Just please don't stop trying Helen. I really look forward to your installments, they don't fail to make me smile or giggle or even have tears in my eyes :-D One day you will be showing others how to crochet )t'
LYN
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh, I taught my daughter weeks ago! {rofwl} She is so much better at it than me! For a start, her squares are...well....square!! }hairout{

I have been to get some other colour wools today - omg - I could have got really carried away in the little fabric shop, but I was very good. Three balls of wool and 6 brooch pins - guess what everyone is getting for Xmas this year?

Yes, that's right. Flappy squares.

They're not getting the brooches - I am too proud of them! {rofwl}
Helen xx

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

{rofwl} {rofwl}
LYN
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Julie - I have been struggling with a ripple blanket since november!!! >dum<

I have only just completed the first proper row, and started the second. I am rapidly realising that I tried to run before I could walk and have made such a hash of it that I may have to unravel all that work }hairout{

I found the first row SO hard. I used a bigger hook for the first chain row too. Mind you, I have made it hugely long }hairout{

To take my mind off it I have started a new buy different granny blanket. Ahhhhhhhhh
Helen xx

julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I struggled with ripple blankets when I first did one - the best explanation I've seen is Lucys which you've probably seen already - laid out with photos so it makes sense:-
http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat- ... ttern.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I make another I'd have to refer back to it again till I've got it in my head!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."