Bee's...

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Bee's...

Post by Citrine »

Does anyone keep Bee's??
I absolutely adore them, and am interested in keeping them - however, I understand its a costly venture!
I have 3 solitary bee boxes, all of which are used.
I also have a Bumble Bee box, which is unused.
Any tips for getting it lived in??

:idea: (f+

Gedda
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yeah.
I have a bumble box that is unused also !!.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I kept them for a while.
You have to look at them regularly to see if there are any cells with queen eggs in. If these hatch half of your bees will fly off with the new queen and you've either lost your workforce or need to buy or make a new hive.
Join your county Beekeepers Association, they have demonstrations, and auctions of equipment (but everyone always need more and yet more, so don't expect something for nothing). If you are good at woodwork you may be able to make a hive, but the measurements need to be right or you get honeycombs everywhere.
I found I got in a muddle if I tried to do my bees on my own, for a while I shared with a friend. Then she moved, so I gave up. In theory "look for queen cells every 10 days" sounds OK, but then you get a wet spell and you miss them.
The other problem I found was that I got stung too much and started reacting badly. I carry antihistamines around now, especially at this time of year with the wasps in the orchard, So it wouldn't be a good idea to keep them now.

It was interesting at the time, and I enjoyed having my own honey.
Last edited by Mo on 07 Sep 2007, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
melons
Legendary Laner

bees

Post by melons »

We only have a mortar bee box, but they have used it this year :-D
I still sit out each night to see if our bats fly out of their bat box, but I never see where they come from, they just appear :shock:

My friend at work keeps bees, all his cleared off this summer.
Cheers
mel x
ged
Lively Laner

bee's

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Hi,
Do you have to have local authority permission to keep bees?I am interested in keeping some.
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not when I kept them. It would be a right performance if you did, as commercial beekeepers move them around to where the best nectar flow is. Farmers welcome them in their orchard / beans field etc to collect nectar and pollinate the crops, then off to the moors for a late crop of heather.
A small beekeeper will just keep a couple of hives in the garden and let them take whatever there is within a couple of miles.

So, like hens, you're ok if there's no restrictive covenant on your house.
ged
Lively Laner

Bee's

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Hi Mo,
many thanx for the info!Much appreciated.
atb
ged )t' ^b: )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.