A new hair do?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

A new hair do?

Post by kate egg »

Ok, I'm not sure if this is too frivolous for the forum, but we have discussed make-up at length on another thread.

I used to have my hair coloured - foils with three different shades, that was until I was charged about £80 :shock: including the cut and blow dry. Not surprisingly I started to use off-the-shelf colours after that, they don't give such a varied colour but about 1/16th of the price.

My hairdresser asked why i'd stopped having the colour done so i told her. Why don't you come to a student training day she said. Well I've been three times over the last 6 months or so, it takes a bit longer but is quite relaxing and there is always a senior stylist watching over proceedings.

The best bit £10 )t' same treatment, same colourings but £10 and you get a cup of coffee and a biccie and a nice chat too :-D
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Good idea. Local colleges also often do really cheap hairdos so the students can practice, also all sort of other things if you are willing to be a guinea pig for manicures, massages, etc.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi kate (f+ (f+ (f+

i go to my local college they are realy good i get the 2nd years to do it.
my nephew has started this year so hoping for even cheaper hair doos when hes a 2nd year )t' )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Very good idea, good frugal tip, I have had my hair done at college in the past, had to book in advance because they were busy, but very cheap. I have also had full body massages for £4, an absolute bargain, feel great afterwards.

Ilona
)t'
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I used to have my roots done at the hairdresser every five weeks.

Then I had a brainwave! I have a straight parting, so bought the correct shade of colour, and just touched up the roots either side of my parting, and around the crown of the my head.

This meant that I can now stretch out the time between hairdresser visits to eight weeks.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

before I had Grace I had long hair that I only got trimmed once every 6 months, and that has been done for the past 4 years by me wee cousin - she needed the practice when she was training, now she's a fully fledged hairdresser I let her do colour too.
Mum took me to a posh place (where she goes) for my birthday in May and I got it cut short. Then I treated myself to the local hairdresser a few months ago. It was half the price of the posh one and the colour was much nicer!!
Am heading towards my cousin again in the next week or two - it's time for a trim and get my roots done and I'm paying top prices again!!
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

My main whinge about the hairdressers is the time. If I can slap on a colour in 40 minutes, start to finish, why does it take them 2 hours?
There's no cure for stupidity.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I had my hair trimmed for my wedding 6 years ago , but that was the last time I set foot in one of those places!! :shock: I would rather have my teeth pulled. :-D I can almost sit on my hair and wouldnt have it any other way. I colour it myself once a fortnight as it grows like a weed, and as I use different products and shades it now looks a bit like tortoise shell!! I can live with that. I had it coloured once at a friend's salon and it took hours(2) then needed doing again as the roots grew. Never again!! (f+
Looove chucks!
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hi

i have used over the counter hair dyes for years trying different makes etc...all with fantastic results....people stop and asked where i go to get it coloured and don,t believe me when i say its shop bought...only costs £3.29 every six weeks and sometimes they have a special for two for £5.

Sometimes i think if you have a good cut you can get away with a cheap colour.

I have a very good hairdresser who comes to my house and does a good cut for £10 (just gone up from £5) been having her for a few years all in the comfort of my own home!!!

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I went to the hairdressers twice last year, for colouring and cut, looked lovely when I walked out, looked like hell the next day. That was the first time I'd been to hairdressers for 20 years, and I won't be going back.
I do wish though, that I'd never coloured my hair in the first place. My mother was white when she was 24, my father only just started greying when he was 60, and unfortunately, I'm in between, although I am sporting a mallen streak under the dye, I just wish the rest of it would hurry up and go white.
Then I can play with non-permanent vegtable dyes. perosixde is another reaosn I don't want to dye it anymore.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I purchased a set of clippers in a souq in Kuwait in 2003 and haven’t paid for a hair cut since. They cost the equivalent of £7-00
Bah Humbug
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

i do my younger boys hair with the clippers i bought for £15 but my older boy 15 goes to the barbers it cost £7 a time (but it does look nice)still cheaper than womens hair cut :?

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have also been using shop colours for years, never had any problems, blonde, black, red, you name it, and all colours in between. I hate sitting around in a hairdressers, so boring, I have found one where you can just walk in off the street and get a cut.

I try and leave as long as I can in between cuts, it doesn't suit me too long. I get another month out of it by putting the mirror on the window ledge outside the back door, comb and scissors, lifting bits up and cutting the top so it doesn't flop in my eyes. I try and copy what I have seen the hairdressers do. :-D

Ilona
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hi

i cut my hubbys and sons hair with clippers and sissors.

i also cut my two youngest hair (cut a very good bob cut on my youngest, my friends had thought i had taken her to the hairdressers)

my sister was a hairdresser so i picked up a few tips..it saves a fortune

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i think we need photos so we can pass comment
good hairs days are so important
bad hair days are just part of life
when kell gets bored we all get done
even the kids
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln