My Mums in hospital now !

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: My Mums in hospital now !

Post by MissEllie »

Don't know much about frusemide but they've just taken Paul's gran off it too and she retainedwater everywhere now so they've put her back on a different dose. I think in her case they were worried she was getting rid of too much water and becoming dehydrated :?
Glad your mum's beginning to get a bit more mobile, hopefully the zimmer will make a big difference to her. Take care {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Oddly enough, a natural self help for water retention is to drink more water! The theory behind that is if you dont drink enough water, the body starts to hold onto what it has and sometimes goes overboard - hence water retention. The medical solution is to limit the amount of liquid intake (which puts undue strain on the kidneys, amongst other things) and give tablets that remove water from the body. That actually stimulates the body to hold onto more! So if/when the medication is stopped, the first response of the body is to continue to hold onto water - leading to the swelling you noticed. If more water is drunk, then the body eventually finds its own balance.

It's a bit like going on a diet and reaching that 'plateau', caused by the body thinking it is in 'famine mode'.

Almost everyone doesnt drink enough plain water.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

When I got into to see Mum yesterday , she was on a drip !
Taking her of Frusemide was such a stupid thing to do as now as well as swollen ankle,feet and toes she has a bladder infection. They have her on a drip to hasten the process of putting fluids back in - she isnt the worlds best drinker , though she did have half a jug of water by her side so I am guessing she must have drunk the other half. She had been told that she could come home at the weekend but now has to stay in until the infection has cleared. She is taking some positives - she loves the zimmer and is looking forward to having one at home and has said that will mean she can get out into the garden to see the chooks and hills again and also the pain relief is working and as far as her hip and leg goes she is pain free. The physio is pleased with her , though I can't see what she has done, as Mum has had no exercises to do , she just has to show that she can walk about with the zimmer and I am sure when her feet are back to the normal size and her slippers fit again she will probably be able to do the can can , so long as she has the frame to hold on to !
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Annie - I misread that as 'When her flippers fit again' yike* {rofwl}

Not sure what to say really - I guess the zimmer will be a HUGE plus for her, but what a nuisance about the infection. She must be a big worry for you. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

They usually make sure that she can walk OK with the Zimmer and also get her to walk up a set of stairs before letting her home. As she's got an infection they won't let her home. Sometimes they do an anti-biotic by drip Annie.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Maybe thats what it was Maggie, I was absolutely bushed last night , got sinus and a nose running like a tap - suppose I shouldnt have gone in but I hadnt seen her for 2 days. I really will have to speak to the nurses about what is going on with her but as we only have an hour I dont want to eat into that time and when visiting is over , its also shift change time for the nurses so they are usually holed up swapping notes .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Don't get fobbed off Annie. As you are going out ask to speak to the nurse who's looking after Mum. They are allocated patients on each shift they are on. If you don't get any joy from her/him ask to speak to the Sister or Charge Nurse.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

They also have round here what they call a ward manager .. when mum was being treated really poorly and I felt I was being fobbed off I did something I've never done before or since in my life - I went in wearing my BBC press ID pass from work and within 5 minutes they had the ward manager there to talk to me - funny eh? Anyway hope she's better soon .. {hug}
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

julie62 wrote:They also have round here what they call a ward manager .. when mum was being treated really poorly and I felt I was being fobbed off I did something I've never done before or since in my life - I went in wearing my BBC press ID pass from work and within 5 minutes they had the ward manager there to talk to me - funny eh? Anyway hope she's better soon .. {hug}

Dont know if my lollipop pole would carry the same clout {rofwl}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

You could give it a try! {rofwl}
Hope they get her water input/output sorted out soon and really hope you can get some rest this weekend ~eep~ {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

She is off the drip and much more alert today - partly because the tv isn't on all day - the goggle box fan has gone home!
Mums had a renal exam today and the delight for tomorrow is an enema , she says she will be running with the zimmer never mind walking . I asked her if she wanted me to have a chat with someone about whats what but she has asked me to leave that until tomorrow, looks like she will be in over the weekend but maybe home Monday. She did ask me to take her purse in as she may ask for the hairdresser to give her a trim .
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

If you are struggling to get answers speak to the PALs teams (patient liason ) if the ward sister/ charge nurse. When you visit her encourage drinking, take in squash or fruit juice water is great but any liquid will do, cranberry juice is particularly good for clearing infections. There must consult with you if they are planning on her going home at the weekend, ask about the discharge plan. Xx

Hope you are both better soon
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Enemas are never fun, I'm assuming they've tried all the less invasive ways of getting her 'moving'. That's the down side of codeine unfortunately but glad its helping her pain.
Woody Allen
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thanks Bolly, its always good to get input from all of you working within the hospital world. I haven't as yet approached anyone myself, Mum is fiercely independant and I have to be careful of not stepping on her toes (in both senses). Tomorrow is the day I will start asking questions myself.
Ellie she has had laxatives but they have only partially worked alas, there again at her age I dont think body bits do function without some help.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I hope the enema gives some relief but these things happen with changes in diet activity and medication. Things will be much better when she's home.

Please ask questions with your Mums permission, it's good to be independent but everyone needs some by their sides at difficult times {hug} {hug}
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!