My Mums in hospital now !

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
manda

Re: My Mums in hospital now !

Post by manda »

Bear in mind as well if they have asked your Mum about how much information she wants shared and she has put any limits on they won't be able to disclose more than she has said is OK....I'm just thinking as you have said she is so independent.
It is very difficult with all the privacy laws and disclosure ...and it's not about them being cloak and dagger necessarily it's about them being careful they don't breach someone's privacy....frustrating when all you want to know is what's going on.

It can be so difficult when someone goes into hospital ...they decide to try changing things maybe for something better and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't or it could be they wanted to assess just what level of functioning there was going on....either way best place for it to happen would be in hospital where she can be monitored 24hrs a day.

I hope everything gets sorted for her soon >fi<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Annie - hope she's feeling better soon .. try getting her to eat some fruit or high fibre stuff to help things along .. they all seem to eat like sparrows when they're in hospital :-D
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

manda wrote:
It can be so difficult when someone goes into hospital ...they decide to try changing things maybe for something better and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't or it could be they wanted to assess just what level of functioning there was going on....either way best place for it to happen would be in hospital where she can be monitored 24hrs a day.

Reminds me of the saying 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'. I can never understand why they decide to change meds that are clearly working and when their change clearly doesnt work, why they dont go back to what they knew did work!

I also cant imagine what they want to do an enema for. If she is constipated, then surely it's better to cure the problem from the top (ie regulate diet) than do a quick fix from below? There may of course be another reason for it, but this lady went into hospital because she had sciatica - not sure what enemas have to do with that!

If she was my mum, I would be wanting to know what they were doing and why. I know Annie does too. And I wouldnt let them fob me off. Been there before - and it cost me more than I care to say (not financially).
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

manda wrote:Bear in mind as well if they have asked your Mum about how much information she wants shared and she has put any limits on they won't be able to disclose more than she has said is OK....I'm just thinking as you have said she is so independent.
It is very difficult with all the privacy laws and disclosure ...and it's not about them being cloak and dagger necessarily it's about them being careful they don't breach someone's privacy....frustrating when all you want to know is what's going on.

)t' )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

RuthG wrote:Oddly enough, a natural self help for water retention is to drink more water! The theory behind that is if you dont drink enough water, the body starts to hold onto what it has and sometimes goes overboard - hence water retention. The medical solution is to limit the amount of liquid intake (which puts undue strain on the kidneys, amongst other things) and give tablets that remove water from the body. That actually stimulates the body to hold onto more! So if/when the medication is stopped, the first response of the body is to continue to hold onto water - leading to the swelling you noticed. If more water is drunk, then the body eventually finds its own balance.

It's a bit like going on a diet and reaching that 'plateau', caused by the body thinking it is in 'famine mode'.

Almost everyone doesnt drink enough plain water.

I wasn't aware that you were a Medical professional Ruth... forgive me if I am a bit blunt but medical advice should really only be given by medical professionals, they are the ones qualified to give such advice.

RuthG wrote:Reminds me of the saying 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'. I can never understand why they decide to change meds that are clearly working and when their change clearly doesnt work, why they dont go back to what they knew did work!

I am not a qualified pharmacist or doctor so I do not know why the medication was changed but if I was I would be able to make an informed comment.

RuthG wrote:I also cant imagine what they want to do an enema for. If she is constipated, then surely it's better to cure the problem from the top (ie regulate diet) than do a quick fix from below? There may of course be another reason for it, but this lady went into hospital because she had sciatica - not sure what enemas have to do with that!

Again Ruth, I feel that medical advice is best given by medical professionals, they know what they are talking about on the whole.

Annie, our thoughts are with you and your Mum, the thought of watching her running with her Zimmer will be with me for a long time. hugs to you both xxx {hug&kiss}
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I have had training in nutritional therapy.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awwww Annie {hug}

It's such a difficult time when loved ones are in hospital. I think sometimes, medications are stopped for a variety of reasons as Manda said above. It's just that the doctors don't explain their reasons for doing this so it leaves us feeling confused as to why a seemingly silly decision has been made.

I'm sure there are cases of sheer negligence but these are not the norm. 99 times out of 100 there will be a good reason why they've done this, they just haven't shared it with you. I'm sure once you've spoken properly to her doctor or nurse in charge of her care, you'll feel reassured {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

RuthG wrote:I have had training in nutritional therapy.

I have done quite a few first aid courses in my time but I would never presume to question the professional opinion of a doctor.

I am however intrigued as to what "I have had training" entails... a doctorate perhaps? at least degree level?
I have looked up nutritional therapy on line and I can't find the bit that says it allows you to give out advice about medication without actually seeing the patient nor can I find the bit which says that it qualifies you to second guess what the doctor has decided is best for the patient (again without your own examination).
Just my opinion but I would rather take the advice of a medical professional.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

1. I didnt question the medical advice of any doctor.

2. I havent given any advice about medication.

What I did say was that drinkling more water would help. Then I asked the same questions that Annie appears to be asking - why are they doing these things? I havent said they are wrong; I havent said they must do something else. I simply said these things need reasons explaining, but didnt put it that way. Now please dont derail Annie's thread with an argument about things i havent done and didnt say!
Chris xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and kind wishes for Mum, she has been told of the many lovely messages and does appreciate your thoughts.
I think now is the right time to close the thread, thank you.
Annie
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful