60 at 60 - I could be mad.

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

60 at 60 - I could be mad.

Post by fabindia »

I am still toying with the idea of running 60 miles on my 60th birthday (early August) to raise money for either the Christie Hospital Manchester or MacMillan Cancer Care. Both were part of the care team for my son's partner who sadly passed away just over a year ago, aged just 27.

I am not overly confident that I can do it. I have done over 40 miles in a day, followed by 39 miles and 31 miles in the days after, but the step up to 60 miles is a big ask.

Training is going OK, I ran 20 miles to day and plan on a long run on Sundays over the next 10 weeks. The trick is slow and steady and let the miles drift by.

I'll try to keep you up to date with how things go :b(
Michael
p.penn

Re: 60 at 60 - I could be mad.

Post by p.penn »

My goodness.....that is a long way!! )b(

I think that, although you haven't run that far before, on the day/days, you will do it. {hug}

Ha ha ha! Here is me saying you can run 60miles and I can't even run for a bus!!! )sh
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't think you are mad at all.
If you have run that far, a little more training and you will do it. Especially when you have such an incentive.
Good for you. Do It and I will sponsor you )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I suspect the fact that you post quite regularly on here is a better indication of madness than planning to run sixty miles! It sounds like you have the training in hand & I think you should go for it!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Wow, that is a long way :shock:

But I'm sure with all your training, you can do it. And what wonderful causes to run for {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Go for it. I believe in striving to achieve your goals. Better to have tried than to sit on your backside thinking about it. I think it is just as important to get yourself psyched up mentally for it. Good luck.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good effort fabindia.

If you're unsure with the running, go for walking, 3 or 4 good days wouldn't be so much strain if you're not altogether used to it.
Or maybe cycling, one good day or two shorter one's.
Between landmarks would be good and better related for Sponsorship.

Great idea. )t' )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Yer I think your mad Fabindia, but I also think your brave and courageous, and I also think that you could do it. 60 is a just a number get the body ready for the task through training etc, and get the mind focused the the job in hand and I think youv,e got a great chance at pulling it off. Good luck. )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Sounds like an excellent challenge, but isn't it more than 2 marathons?

Also it would be good if you could do it from A to B, it makes it more real somehow
)t'
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Bob - I couldn't agree more, just a number. I was truly staggered on my journey's to see those in their 60's 70's and some even 80's having the time of their lifes doing things I would not have expected them to be doing at that age.

It's a landmark age with lot's of attachments, but two of everything down the sides and one of everything down the middle and you're on your way.

Sure it's getting on a bit, but with your courage and determination - it's just the beginning )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I dont think you're mad - I think you're amazing to be even considering it - good for you :-D
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Thanks for all the encouragement. Running has always been my strength - just not as fast now as I used to be.

60 miles should be more than possible. I have taken my inspiration from a guy named Marshall Ulrich who ran across America in 2008, aged 57, averaging 59 miles a day, to complete a 3,063 mile run in 52 days.
Michael
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I think it's a great idea and I'd be happy to sponsor you for such a worthwhile cause.
I would say though it would be a good idea to get a wee MOT from your GP beforehand just to check your BP etc but it certainly sounds like you're in great shape )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

julie62 wrote:I dont think you're mad - I think you're amazing to be even considering it - good for you :-D

I agree )t'
I love to run, Ha, I'd love to be able to run.
When I was young I ran for my school, I hear people talking about how far they've run that morning and I think " I could to that " Yeah 20 years ago.
I hope I can run 60 at 60, right now I can't run 38 yards at 38.
Good for you, and best of luck! >fi<
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Good for you. If you've trained then I'm sure you will do it. Look at Eddie Izzard, I know he's younger, but what an inspiration. )t'
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker