Painting cupboards

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Evi, its honestly not difficult and using the sponge roller its also quick! I didnt even change the handles, just gave them a good rub with very fine wire wool and they came up like new..
Tiling is easy peasy, just make sure you have good flat surface to tile to..
Badger Lady, brilliant courses.. and why not.. when I bought my first house it was a wreck and the cost of plumbing in a bathroom made me stagger.. so bought a very good diy book and bar connecting to the combi, I did the lot myself (not a single leak I may add!!) Its really not difficult once you realise that its just water in and water out..
The only thing I've never touched are electrics..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's the 'water out' that can be a worry!
But if you call out the pros you sometimes have to have them back several times before they get rid of the leaks so we've gone back to DIY.
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

Tina it lookes gorgous, very profesinal, and warm looking. )t'
chickens rock!!!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mo wrote:It's the 'water out' that can be a worry!
But if you call out the pros you sometimes have to have them back several times before they get rid of the leaks so we've gone back to DIY.

Absolutely right Mo.. When Tony and I bought a house together, we decided treat ourselves and employ a plumber with 25 years experience.. (I should have something was wrong as he looked about 30)..
The guy was a complete idiot, plumbed the hot and cold water to the wrong taps, installed a heated towel rail in such a way that you couldn't put towels over it, started to fit the 'over bath' shower controls so low that you'd have to be sat in the bath to use them.. the list went on and on.... I ended up not being allowed to talk to him, Tony just kept me away or I would have ended up drowning him in the wrongly placed toilet!!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We thought we had found a good one, then his son took over the business!!

And don't get me started on gas fitters who 'can't find' anyone who stocks the spare part for the boiler, so have to replace it. The next chap we had to service it said the old one was still in production so should have been easy to get parts for.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

All Looks great willow!

Well done )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

its a pain when we moved house we had to get a gas man and eletric man just to fit my cooker as its a duel fuel range we were lucky my brother in laws dads friend fits chinese take away kitchens so done the electrics for us then my friends friend who works for british gas done the gas )t' phew that was a lot of faffing about but it got done cheap and safe :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Wow Tina - that looks great!!! I took out all my units 5 years ago so sadly can't spruce any up with paint!

Had ordered new kitchen and there were SO many cockerel ups by the company that I cancelled in the end and bought my rayburn with the money! That took most of the money so had to do the rest on a shoestring! Apart from an old pine sliding school type cupboard where I store my food and cleaning stuff, I just have shelves, an old sideboard, 2 hand made childs toy boxes which I turned on end and put shelves in, a pine wall cupboard and a small room divider mounted on the wall.

I also have a reclaimed victorian baby bath with its' pedestal as my kitchen sink!!! :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh I love the sound of that, any photos? My dream kitchen is a 'not fitted' one :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha ha ha ha!! Give me a week or so to tidy it......then yes, will do!!! :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Looking forward to seeing them.....