is this normal?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

is this normal?

Post by ChrisG »

While cutting down more nettles today, a couple brushed lightly against my bare arm. Even though they barely touched they definitely stung! The usual red spots arose, but they didnt itch - they hurt. nd now, several hours later, the spots have gone, but the area is tingling and prickly, to the extent that I cant have anything touching it - like a sleeve of a blouse.

Anyone got any ideas for something natural to put on it to take the soreness out?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Mrs B

Re: is this normal?

Post by Mrs B »

Get someone to smack you with a wet kipper, I guarantee the nettle pain will be forgotten
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It sounds normal. If you have aloe vera, you could try that.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks both. I just dont remember it ever being this sore so long afterwards before.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Antihistamine usually works quite quickly.

Stinging nettles sting differently at different times of the year, there's one stage, think it's in Autumn, where you can hold them and they don't sting at all......apparently !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Hi there
I find chamomile essential oil very soothing for any itchy / tingly skin condition. A few drops in a plant squirty bottle of cooled boiled water and spritzed on might help. It saw my lot through chicken pox in childhood and worked wonders )t'
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I walked through stinging nettles yesterday while wearing shorts, daft thing to do I know. Felt like a thousand needles sticking in my legs. Tried germolene but that made it worse, so I went to bed and fell asleep.
Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

This is a pretty good buy from Amazon..

101 Uses for Stinging Nettles

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Richard wrote:This is a pretty good buy from Amazon..

101 Uses for Stinging Nettles

Richard )t'

Is this 'get your own back' time? :-D Chop them up, steep (drown) them in water, boil them etc etc!

It seems fine this morning. I didnt have any of the suggested items (will be getting some for future reference though )t' ) so wet the area with cold water and went to bed. This morning, there is a residual itch, but nothing to shout about, and the skin is slightly red. Thanks for all the suggestions. :-D
Chris xx

Richard

Post by Richard »

:-D :-D

Members of the acountrylife Forum of around 2004 will recall I had an unfortunate mishap whilst doing my duty around the Chicken Run to protect from Foxes.

As some of you know, I am with plenty of Stinging Nettles and a gust of wind did sway some over to a place which is rather sacred.

So, I posted something very similar to your predicament Ruth - after about 70 posts, there hadn't been one sensible answer !!

A few weeks after that a ladyfriend of mine observed me.

[center]Image[/center]

Strange, looking at the picture, I'm wearing the same T-Shirt today !

Richard )run(
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

yike* yike* OUCH!
Chris xx

wolfpelt
Lively Laner

Post by wolfpelt »

The Victorians used to use nettles for xxxx gratification
It's called urtication.
I want to know why someone put nettles there in he first place?
{rofwl}
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

yike* yike* yike*
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I was stung a while back and searching the net came up with some good ideas - bicarbonate of soda mixed to a paste was a very popular answer, and did actually work well for me.
Also, if your eyes are good enough to see which way the nettle "hairs" are facing, scrape them out with the back of a knife.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

I remember when I was at guide camp I fell in a large clump of stingers. Oh the agony all night long. I had to bathe my arms and legs with TCP Didn't seem to help at all {cry}
Have you tried good old fashioned dock leaves?