Bottle window

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Bottle window

Post by Willow »

Has anyone made one of the these?
This is an idea for a future straw bale & cob summer house (hobbit style) so the window could be thick.
I would like to have the bottle 'bottoms' facing out..
Idealy I'd like to use entire bottles and cement them together in a frame, but although the outside would look good, the inside would have a load of bottle necks showing...
I could only cement the 'body' of the bottles together to allow maximum light. But then what?
If I cut them long enough to still allow the use of cement, I'd have a load of 'hollows' facing inwards.
Any ideas welcome..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Bottle window

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Assuming you used all the same sized bottles or at least had at least two of each you could cut them a bit shorter and the palce the cut ends together and cement around them so that you'd have bottle bottoms inside & out.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Assuming you used all the same sized bottles or at least had at least two of each you could cut them a bit shorter and the palce the cut ends together and cement around them so that you'd have bottle bottoms inside & out.
Dom

See.... thats why the lane is so damned good! Why on earth didnt I think of that??
Thank you to a clever person from a complete numpty )t' {rofwl}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Ok, next question then.. what 'cement' would you use to stick the two ends together? anything wet would cause condensation inside the bottles.. I suppose I could silicone and tape them for stability before cementing them together..
Think I've just answered my own question...

Albert Einstein
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Willow, You could use glass block mortar/cement. I once watched a tiler build a shower cubical with glass bricks, the mortar was white and much cleaner and easier to use than normal cement. Having said that building with bottles wont be as easy as square bricks.
)t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I think this is a fab idea. I think I saw it used on a Grand Design once, can't remember what they did about the necks.... I'm sure you could track it down on G**gle.
Looking forward to seeing the pics.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Could you have the bottles standing up - one right way up, next one upside down?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

There's a garden down the road from here with bottle bases inserted in a section of wall - the bottles are just cut to the same thickness as the wall, with hollows on one side, bases on the other. The lady has some little succulents growing inside some of the bottles.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

p.penn wrote:Could you have the bottles standing up - one right way up, next one upside down?

yep, that was the easiest option, and looks good but for this project I really want to have just the bottoms showing.. TC stated the obvious (which I hadnt thought of :b( ) and I will be cutting two bottles of the same size and sticking the bottom halves together. That way Ill have a good flatish finish inside and out..
LBF - unbelievable what you can do with recycled bottles isnt it? I had a look at that site and am in awe of the craftsmen & women...
Al I can either make the 'window' beforehand by building a wide frame and basically stacking the bottles making sure there is enough cement to bind and secure them..
Or wait till we start the 'Summer house' and just incorporate them into the cob as we build..

Albert Einstein