A new hair do?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

yike* yike* yike*

The bottom one looks very cute, and Dave all you need is a bit of lippie :-D :-D :-D
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi
i used to go to a great hairdresser and it cost me £23 then she put her prices up to £28 so stopped going, now i go and have the same thing done for £20 and she is quite good. I have a bob and colour it myself with a non permanent dye about every month costs 3.29, its very dark the colour makes it really shiny i am mousy really. I do like to go its chance to escape en familie, i go about every 8 weeks for a trim, blow dry.

Mellonia

Don't start me on why we should make the best of ourselves and boost our confidence. Given the choice i would still come back a girl, thats another thread, see chitter chatter
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

Shame on me, I spend a fortune on my hair......foils and cut at well known hairdresser in city centre....never tell my boyfriend quite how much it cost - I always manage to mumble the price! I smoke too, but never go out clubbing, or even to pubs really. Rarely go on hols abroad - just camping every weekend I possibly can (I always take my make up camping too - have special magnifying mirror and I put on my make up and do my hair while boyfriend cooks breakfast!). Gym membership and hair cuts - that's where my money goes! I am regularly to be seen mucking out the hens in filthy old tracksuit bottoms, green gardening clogs, grotty old jumper and windcheater, woolly hat and my very expensive blonde highlights sticking out of it!
It's better to be looked over, than overlooked!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I used to always wear make-up but am approaching the big 5-0 (next year) and I think I need so much polyfilla now that its not worth the hastle :-D

Enjoy it if it gives you pleasure (and hope the b/f doesn't find your bank statement :razz: )
hippichick
Lively Laner

Post by hippichick »

I colour my own hair for around £4 depending if they are on offer.
I usually go to the hairdressers to have it cut every four months that costs £13
I do trim my own frindge when it gets to long.
I also use clippers on my family hubby, son and dad they do trust me. Honest! )t'
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

I cant stand going to the hair dresses. i cut my own, i had long hair till i was 40 and thought its got to go, i did go the hairdresses that time. But im growing it to my sholders now and it looks a mess. But im trying not to give in and cut it. Im naturaly blond, but i got one of thoes multi tone kits from wilcos, and i liked it. So i will deff do it again.
chickens rock!!!
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

I really need to go to the hair dressers. Its been over a year since my last visit. The only thing that gets a trim is my fringe (by a girl at work in the loos!) But my hair is really thin and lank, its quite drab, so to make me feel better and it takes less work beleive it or not i have a perm-a loose one not a footballers perm. it gives me body plus all i need to do is spray a bit of water on in the morning and get a nice hair style. It costs me £60 though, need to work out what I can go without to get the hair done. It does look better though, even when wind swept.......
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Have you tried a college or a local hairdresser - maybe you could get a student perm at a much better price? If not then £60 once a year is not exactly extravagent! about £1.20 a week..... start saving now and you can have it done again in a year :-D
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

cheers Kate, I hadnt thought of it like that so going to make an appointment. Told Mr S last night and he went "again?" told him that it has been a year last september since i went. "comes around fast" was his reply. This from a man who has hair that reminds me that I need to buy straw for the girls----who is being forced this thursday to have his annual hair cut (shave off).
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My hubs is 'folically challenged' and a couple of years back I was a bit miffed that he was charged £20 for a wash and cut a a salon, worked out about 10p per hair I guess :shock:

So I suggested he went to the local barber and £6 later - just as good a cut = £14 saved. Just have to re-think habits we have and we can save a few bob )t'
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

HAir cuts are my main extravegance...used to have it cut every 5-6 weeks to keep it very short and spiky but have now let it grow to shoulder length so only fringe to have trimmed up regularly, the rest I leave a few months...used to be £49 for a cut, but have just had a "lesser" person at the same salon for £24....there was a difference, but I think not £25 worth

I ease my conscience as I cut my husbands and the three children that are still at home...so that MUST save enough to cover my sillyness??????
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

My hair is a blank canvass (GREY) so I do have it coloured. I'm at an age when I should know better but have a base of rich brown with red and blonde large streaks. I hate the subtle look. I then scrunch and spike it up. I had it cut short for holiday and just two colours so will put a temporary colour on while I'm waiting for it to grow a little. I think I will have mauve or purple as the 3rd colour next time. It gets worse as I get older so goodness knows what it will be like when I hit 70!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Blue or pink rinse :-D :-D :-D Spiked up of course )t'

I have just gone mahogany, obviously the family either don't like it or haven't noticed :? But I do tend to change it quite often and am more my natural colour after years of blond highlights that always went orange )gr:
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

IT'S MAUVE!
Looked in the cupboard and there was a box of 'plum' hair dye, so popped it in before I got in the shower. As the colour had faded quite a bit on holiday it took a bit too well. O/h had a shock when he came in at lunchtime.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I'm not a fan of salons. I used to have a wash.cut,blowdry for £18,16 years ago. Then I started going to my mum's 'old ladys' hairdresser. Only a fiver,and a really good cut. Need a cut desperately. My friend and I are going to try the college salon. My hair is a bit of a challenge for inexperienced stylists as it's so thick. I don't colour any more as it damaged my hair and I had to have a lot of length taken off. So I'm starting the'Ginger and Proud' movement now!