Italians ban plastic bags

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Italians ban plastic bags

Post by jannie »

We've had to pay 5p for a carrier bag in Wales since 1st October.. I have to say that the end of free bags has made a huge difference to the amount of plastic bags flying around the countryside .. it is heartwarming to see that the majority of people walking into the supermarkets now have their own bags with them. )t' )t'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Interesting link; the article suggests (as has already been posted) that thing gauge plastic bag usage has been reduced by as much as 95% in countries charging for them. I very rarely use them myself, I have plenty of "for-life" bags in which to transport my groceries: if they are not in my backpack.
Scotland to hold three month consultation on charging for thin gauge plastic bags
Bah Humbug
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I'm sure they are not the evil entity the governments want us to believe. I wish they'd put effort in to real problems.

I'm led to believe that it's easy to make biodegradable bags now.

I think the bags for life probably waste more resources than the cheap ones.

Rant over.......
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

After giving the whole thing some thought after reading it in the news this morning. I'm all for it. I usually carry a material shopping bag in my handbag which is more durable than the rubbishy supermarket ones and I do a .com shop once a month which gets delivered without bags. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I have to say that this is something women are usually far better at than men. I see many blokes in the Supermarket queue (inc. myself sometimes) with no Recycled bags and have to ask for Plastic.

I think that charging is a very reasonable and effective way of reducing waste, litter and often poor disposal.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

If Beerless is on his cycle then he has a backpack but if on foot he has a Henry hoover bag that he likes, my sister borrowed it and he sulked for ages.

He is a very strange person
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

Over here (Eire) since before I moved here (3 years ago) people are charged 20 odd cents for plastic bags unless it is for perishables. Got to admit the roads here are, in general, clear of litter. On that score every township is responsible for clearing its own litter with free disposal on certain dates.(we don't have council tax so we pay for refuse collection)
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I'd love to have reduced or no council tax and pay for rubbish removal instead. Due to my lifestyle I very rarely have much refuse to remove.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Unless my memory fails me at one time there were no "free" carriers given out they used to cost 3p i think in aadsa. When i was at home my mum had her trusy shopping trolly and proper shoping bags that was eons ago now no freebies then.Wilkandsons bags aregood strong bags and 3 styles under a quid each.Free isnt actually true when you think of the cost to our world ban crap "free" ones and charge and see how many people are willing to pay for a bit of shoddy plastic, not many id guess . Good thread this )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Where do bin bags come into this? Should they? They only get used once and then sent to land fill.

What about the plastic wrapping that they put around products. Why isn't there a big campaign about that? Maybe it's not convenient for the produce/retailers.

What about if you use a carrier bag as a bin bag? Is that good or bad?

What about if you use a carrier bag to take food home then use it to take something to the work, then bring some thing home from work then take something to the allotment then use it to bring home something from the allotment, then us it as a bin bag.

What about if it's biodegradable?

I'll happily pay for plastic bags if I need to, because I use them for many things and many times but I'm not sure how charging it's going to save or change the world.

Any one know the environmental cost of a "reusable" bag (bag for life) compared to a supposedly single use (although they can be reused many times) plastic bag?

I must admit if I'd be happy if people stopped littering with them.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I suppose the train of thought is that if they are paid for people may use them more sensibly and not just chuck them willy nilly.Years ago when non were free you didnt see many decorating the trees as now. Like you and many others any that we do get we reuse and save buying others. If the free thin ones which are neither use nor ornament were not available it would be a start. I also pay if i need one but i have seen people hurling verbal abuse when told they would have to pay.We can only do our bit its down to personal choice for all when all said and done. In this throw away society every little helps )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
MadisonO
Learner Laner

Post by MadisonO »

This can be both a good and bad thing. Good because of waste (plastic) reduction and bad because of tree reduction which is the primary source for paper bags.
"To desire is to obtain; to aspire is to achieve."