what weeds to compost

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

what weeds to compost

Post by bmpsands »

Our new place is over-run with goose grass, dandelions, nettles etc. I would like more greenery in my compost bin because a lot of what's going in there is being generated by the hens! However, will I be ensuring a good crop of weeds next year if I do this? My chooks eat dandelions and goose-grass but, in all fairness, there are only 4 of them and LOTS of weeds.

B
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: what weeds to compost

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

As long as you can keep your compost heap good and hot, then I don't see a problem with composting all that lot. Turn it often, add plenty of chicken waste & it should be fine.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you. Chicken waste is no problem; heat seems OK but the ambient temperature isn't as good as it might be. The current bin is in a reasonably sunny spot so I hope for good things.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

And, despite my moany post, any nasty perennials can be drowned. Put them in a bucket, cover with water, weight down (though I don't bother) cover with water and leave for a few days or weeks even.

The drowned greens can be composted (though I don't) and the resulting murk can be diluted at about 10 parts water to 1 'tea' and used as a general feed.

But it really does smell!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Stef - this sounds a very attractive proposition. I like the idea of drowning the rotten things. I'll need a number of buckets but fortunately it looks as though the previous owner of the house bred wheely bins - instead of the usual 3 we have 6 - so I suppose I could go for industrial scale drowning. Excellent! Thanks.