Scorpion saw?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Fellsider
Lively Laner

Scorpion saw?

Post by Fellsider »

Would this scorpion saw be any use for chopping down an old, diseased box hedge?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=311586

The eventual price after 1.51% topcashback and the 15% off promotional code available at the moment is just over £35 delivered.

I need a saw for other jobs too, do you people in the know think this is a reasonable tool for the money?

Thanks
Ruled by Henry, the miniature serama cockerel who thinks he is 10 feet tall.
saint-spoon

Re: Scorpion saw?

Post by saint-spoon »

I wouldn’t buy one myself, I would use a bow saw but that is because I have one. I have never used one of these before, but if you think that you will use it for other stuff then why not. One thing to remember that with a conventional saw you can sharpen the blade (I do anyway with mine) but the blades for this will be disposable and I am not sure how long they will last. I wouldn’t buy it but if you want one go for it. It will take out your box no problem I would think… You will have to wait for it to stop raining though {rofwl}
Bah Humbug
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

The wood blades last quite a while, if you are careful with them.
One tip for cutting branches etc, is to make sure you have a second person with you, they can hold the branch steady, since the branch has a tendency to move with the blade and can apply a slight pressure, to keep the cut open.
Also let the saw do the cutting, don't be tempted to push down too heavily, the blades can bend on you, if you do. :oops:

I've had one for around 10 years now, it's a bit battered, but still works fine, it gets used for pruning, steel cutting, even cutting perspex and its only had one new set of brushes so far. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Fellsider
Lively Laner

Post by Fellsider »

Thanks )t'
fabdavee
Learner Laner

Post by fabdavee »

The Scorpion saw is brilliant bit of kit, it comes with saws for wood metal and for rough sawing of wood. If you still make a sawing movement whilst the blade does its thing you will find it cuts quicker. I reckon it to be one of the best electric saws on the market.
Fellsider
Lively Laner

Post by Fellsider »

Well, I've had a few uses for the scorpion since I posted and although I haven't cut the hedge down yet, the saw has been brilliant.

I was especially impressed when I needed to cut through some metal tubing. It would have taken me forever with the manual hacksaw but the scorpion handled the job very efficiently.

Doesn't cut through thick perspex though, mind you, not much does }hairout{