A new hair do?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

I cut my own after a bad experience in a local salon now forever known as the "Poodle Parlour"

I have naturally wavy "bra-strap" lenght hair with a centre parting, I just comb it back when it is wet twist it into a tail (at right angles to the floor) and cut the end off blunt - Hey presto instant layers.

Also have done him indoors with the clippers for the last ten years
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

When I was very young I guess I was ginger, by my teens/twenties I was strawberry blonde. Over the years my hair got blonder, especially in the summer, but to my horror, I am not going white or a lovely sparkley grey, just mousier!!!

I used to put extreme blonde on my hair in January/feb as it was very short. during the summer it stayed that way (compiments of the sun!) and then I would have it cut again.

But in recent years,I have grown it slightly longer and, once a year in early summer, have a cut and some blonde highlights to brighten the whole thing.

Last time they wanted (are you sitting down....?) £115 for a cut and highlights!!!! So I looked elsewhere and got them for £70. Now, 5 months on, my hair is different lengths each side and (as they didn't bleach it right to the root) the highlights are really growing out too fast.

Well THAT was worth the saving.... NOT!!! :shock: But I really can't run to the other price so may just give up. Mouse from now on. YHUK
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

What about trying a Nice and Easy colour? You could go for a blond, costs about £4.50 and isn't permanent so if you don't like it too much it'll fade anyway, and if you do then its not too much money to do it again!

I bought a Swartz or something from Booots and it cost about £2 I think, I am now quite a vibrant mahogany (my natural colour is quite dark brown).
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am just horrified with these hairdressers prices. I treated myself to a cut and highlights in July, it was £40, what a waste of money. From now on it's the shop bought colours from the discount homestores shops. You don't have to make drastic changes, just change the shade slightly. Did mine last week, it's a lovely auburn colour and it conditions it as well, soft and shiny.

Ilona
)t'
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

RoomandKitchen wrote:I cut my own after a bad experience in a local salon now forever known as the "Poodle Parlour"

I have naturally wavy "bra-strap" lenght hair with a centre parting, I just comb it back when it is wet twist it into a tail (at right angles to the floor) and cut the end off blunt - Hey presto instant layers.

Also have done him indoors with the clippers for the last ten years

you do realise thats how they do the pompom on a poodles tail :-D funny that you call the hairdressers the poodle parlour :)

I gave my hubby a shock a few months back, like so many of you I hardly ever go to the hair dressers, but desided I had to and went to a different one than usual, had a cut and colour and the comunication between me and the hairdresser maybe should have been better, went in mousey blond came out looking like Sharon Osborn, hubby was driving the wee tractor across the yard as I drove in about and he just about crashed the tractor when he saw me :-D must try a college, only problem is it would cost me £10 in fuel to get to the closest one and over 2 hours travelling so maybe not.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

essentialequine wrote:I gave my hubby a shock a few months back, hubby was driving the wee tractor across the yard as I drove in about and he just about crashed the tractor when he saw me :-D

At least it makes them take notice of you :-D I'd love to see the before and after photo (you not the crashed tractor )t' )

I don't go to a college, my usual hairdressers is really into training so they use volunteers in the salon to train their girls who are already doing college courses.
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

you do realise thats how they do the pompom on a poodles tail :-D funny that you call the hairdressers the poodle parlour :) [

Hee Hee